What do you all want out of a video?

Adam Bourne

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Video making does take a lot of effort and time. God only knows how much time goes into August's videos or Aces or Reg's for that matter. My 2 new videos took me the best part of 6 hours each to do, ok it's all new software for me so still getting to grips.

But it's the lack of response to the videos that's the main concern. Ok where not asking for every Tom dick and Harry to post nice job mate well done. Or even Christ that was so shite..

Good thread Adam.

I rushed my first as I lost patience and just hacked it instead of editing with fades just to get it to fit with the music.

It depends what your target audience is.

The casual browser just wants action so crash and bash, no putting a nice accurate gob in, just the last split second of cut and the big fall away.

Climbers will appreciate some work positioning, newbies are looking for more technique and explanation/ instruction.

Trolls are looking for anything they can pick holes in right or wrong.

Music, again depends on the audience I think. If the video is for entertainment then music binds it together and helps it flow, technical stuff is probably better without.

I've seen a couple that have integrated footage from drones and it's definitely something I will be using on the next tasty job as I know someone who has one, BUT....

With everything we watch nowadays be filmed in HD/3D/4K God knows what with mind boggling special effects, it doesn't matter how far we go it just looks like another Youtube vid.

Keep up the good work and a big thankyou and respect to all those that take the time to edit and upload.

Kind regards,

Steve.

More pruning maybe..As everyone has there own idea about that..

As Josh said,not watching someone make there cuts for 3 mins for a 1 foot piece of wood..

Shorter clips but more of them from different jobs maybe.Less than 5mins then it gets boring.

Yes I agree reg does post some great stuff.

The reason behind me posting this was something Benn had posted on another video the other night.

Video making does take a lot of effort and time. God only knows how much time goes into August's videos or Aces or Reg's for that matter. My 2 new videos took me the best part of 6 hours each to do, ok it's all new software for me so still getting to grips.

But it's the lack of response to the videos that's the main concern. Ok where not asking for every Tom dick and Harry to post nice job mate well done. Or even Christ that was so shite..

I just don't think people realise what some videos aim to achieve.

Be it for entertainment or for learning. There all aimed at someone down the line.

So when I ask what it is you all want to see in a video I mean this with intent to supply. So besides all the boobs that's been mentioned there has been some learning for me. At least I know what some of you want :)

I think as a viewer, you just get what you get Adam. Its free, so nobody really ought to complain. People are always going to like different things.

I actually dont spend a lot of time editing videos, probably loading the files is the bulk of it. The treework is either good, or it isnt....fancy editing doesnt change that, although it can be used to mislead.

Certain jobs are more complex or risky, so you might feel the need to make longer clips etc, or explain a situation....others not so much. I think mixing it up is the best a person can offer. Personally I prefer photos, but its often hard to get good ones.

If people dont comment, it doesnt really matter. Doesnt mean they all dont appreciate your efforts.

stubby I'd love to see your advert for a climber :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Must have own tackle (bigger the better) :001_rolleyes:

I like watching the videos however long or short as I can fast forward through the long ones to the interesting bits. Music is sometimes a bit overpowering as is the noise of saws when the volume has been set to listen to someone talking.

I think as a viewer, you just get what you get Adam. Its free, so nobody really ought to complain. People are always going to like different things.

I actually dont spend a lot of time editing videos, probably loading the files is the bulk of it. The treework is either good, or it isnt....fancy editing doesnt change that, although it can be used to mislead.

Certain jobs are more complex or risky, so you might feel the need to make longer clips etc, or explain a situation....others not so much. I think mixing it up is the best a person can offer. Personally I prefer photos, but its often hard to get good ones.

If people dont comment, it doesnt really matter. Doesnt mean they all dontappreciate your efforts.

Very true, I look at loads of vids without commenting, and appreciate the efforts.

Good quality stills are my favourite though.

Must have own tackle (bigger the better) :001_rolleyes:

I like watching the videos however long or short as I can fast forward through the long ones to the interesting bits. Music is sometimes a bit overpowering as is the noise of saws when the volume has been set to listen to someone talking.

Climber could have cs30,31,38,39 and must have 32DD :biggrin::biggrin: