trapping squirrels

jpbeaver

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to say single entry traps only, double entry's aren't that great as they dont drop both doors at the same time, setting the traps in a basic ply tunnel will increase catch rate, but its likely to increase no target capture of other mustelids

Try whole maze or the squirrel mix from the link below (website not so hot on Firefox but safari works). If you can't get up there I've a pile for a de-squirreling contract I'm on at the moment so I could let you have some from stock. Personally prefer shooting (less trudging and less hassle with damaged / disturbed traps)and LDNPA have tried both and have gone down the feeder and air rifle route. It's working out at about 1-1.5 squirrels per hour of my time (including restocking feeders). I'd be interested in what the equivalent rate for traps are (all subjective due to the locations etc but curious all the same)

Welcome

Beaver, Is north York park paying for trapping now or is it via EWGS money?

:001_smile:

Hi i use fen traps in boxes or tunnels and cage traps both just as efective cages are good as you can see if you got anything from a distance ,use whole maze and penuts,i bait up the boxes with out traps for a week then dig a small pit and cover trap with leaves ,i find it a waist of time trapping at this time of year so i do it in winter i poison from april to august in hoppers ,i would like to try those traps that strap to tree as deer and badgers can be a pain .

I trapped a bunch of ground squirrels once using a live trap. I used bird seed on the recomendation of the guy where I bought the trap. It worked great. The squirrels would only live for about a half hour or a little more and they would die from overheating trying to get out of the trap.