Can anyone please help with this serious accident?

Noggin1988

Yes, all understood! Wife & I have had passionate discussion about it this afternoon. From what I can see 25kg is about the biggest for rear facing. More research required I think.

Thoughts and prayers were with you when you posted about that terrible day and still are.

In Germany I believe it's mandatory for children to remain in rear facing child seat till 7 years old.

I just think the driver has to be regent tex in keeping the mirrors aligned that you view your child with for obvious reasons.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am new here and looking to get into the world of arboculture. I have read this post with interest, coming from a nursing background within the nhs and as patient safety representative we often have to face up to the consequences of our failures. The one thing that has been found is that suing and compensation are often used as a tool to punish people. Whilst compensation is absolutely necessary on occasion to help people rebuild their lives, it is also used when people feel that a lesson has not been learnt after an inccident and this is what is missing here. The local authority needs to be showing that they have learnt from this incident and what measures have been put in place to stop this happening again. In the nhs we are trying to move away from a blame culture a d this is following the airline industry. The reason for this is to try and encourage and support people to report incidents and near misses so that we can learn from these rather than waiting for a catastrophic incident to occur. I wonder, is there any facility within arboculturw to recognise and share near misses to try and protect other arborists? I am sure there have been other incidents such as the one mentioned where no one was hurt and no property was damaged, had that information been shared and learned from then it may have prevented this incident from happening. There is a very poignant video about the wife of a pilot called Elaine bromily, she died because certain errors were made. Martin her husband took the approach that something had to change in the way that mistakes were reviewed and learnt from. This led to the introduction of human factors training. In short something needs to change and learning needs to be shared between LAs to stop this happening again. Sometimes in incidents such as as horrific as this are the catalyst for wider change. Just my 4 and half penneth

Last year there was a young lady killed by a falling tree in a big town near me.

It was a roadside ash.

The tree had been reported as being dangerous by locals to council.

The councils main timber contractor passes the road daily.

This year the council are making farmers remove most of the roadside trees.

Lesson was learnt but too little too late

Last year there was a young lady killed by a falling tree in a big town near me.

It was a roadside ash.

The tree had been reported as being dangerous by locals to council.

The councils main timber contractor passes the road daily.

This year the council are making farmers remove most of the roadside trees.

Lesson was learnt but too little too late

Felling most of the roadside trees is not the lesson which should have been learnt! More like following through on reports of dangerous trees, or having an inspection regime in place.

I have witnessed two near misses recently. On both occasions good competent climbers. Both know better. No point in telling them what they did wrong. They can and have easily worked that out for themselves and fortunatly no one was hurt. Far more important in the context i write about is that there is a pattern of good competent people making potentially serious mistakes emerging. I am am encouraging open discussion, no blame, how can we help each other conversation to get clear about why it may be happening and what we need to do about it? This pattern has to be challenged. It would be to easy to simply put each incident down to climber (human) error.

It's an awful story however seeking blame won't change anything, all trees are completely unique just like humans, it could of been any species of tree that failed as they all do at some point, from the beginning trees are destined to die just like us, we've all felled a tree that's gone wrong or got a saw stuck or decked a new chain perfection isn't how we work circumstances dictate most decisions perfectly fine trees fall over in the woods all the time but as it's not so heavily pedestrianised doesn't come up as often! You can be competent 99% of time but it's that 1% that gets judged!! Stay safe!

It's an awful story however seeking blame won't change anything, all trees are completely unique just like humans, it could of been any species of tree that failed as they all do at some point, from the beginning trees are destined to die just like us, we've all felled a tree that's gone wrong or got a saw stuck or decked a new chain perfection isn't how we work circumstances dictate most decisions perfectly fine trees fall over in the woods all the time but as it's not so heavily pedestrianised doesn't come up as often! You can be competent 99% of time but it's that 1% that gets judged!! Stay safe!

Seeking blame is not the point.

The in jury's that this gentlemen received are very serious and he will need help to recover from them compensation will help him get his life back on track. I also think he is quite rightly deserves it. Insurance company's will not pay compensation until the courts have proved liability.

The LA responsible for this tree have not covered there duty of care and need to be shown they were in the wrong the only way for that to happen is to take it to court and see where the blame lies!

So seeking blame will change things

There are folk within this thread who are quite clearly very clued up on the whole inspection side of the job who appear to be contributing very cooperative pieces of information. In the initial post it was said that the case has been reopened - does anyone else not feel that some seriously obvious important information must have been completely ignored in the original case?!

First of all: A professional inspected/surveyed the tree after the accident, were there signs of infection?

Can you give a professional educated guess as to how long the infection has been there and for how long the symptoms would have been visible/detectable?

Has the tree been inspected between the time of it falling and the infection being visible/detectable?

Then do the maths...