Working neglected woodland

The best standing dead wood for habitat I think is the largest stuff if you have any . Of course it makes the best fire wood , especially if its Elm . Glad you don't see it as quite so neglected as you thought . That was my impression from the pics . I am envious bud . Super project to go on for generations . Never know after about 30 odd generations of your family it could be classed as Ancient Wood land ! :biggrin:

Yes, I do have some large ones - quite a few are dead conifer. Theres a dead beech trunk thats just gone over a couple of days ago. Theres one big dead hardwood, it could be elm but its difficult for me to tell. There are also a couple of big Poplars that are on the ground plus quote a few dead unknowns that are beyond identification. The temptation to convert to firewood is pretty strong for me, but i'm hoping but if its better to leave it for the wildlife I can resist :biggrin:

Nice thought on the '30 odd generations', thanks for that.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best standing dead wood for habitat I think is the largest stuff if you have any .

Agree with that. I had quite a few thin dead alder in my woodland a few years ago but the woodpeckers tend to dig for grubs at the base of the trunks and have felled most of them. :001_rolleyes: On the bright side the squirrels are doing their bit to provide some more dead wood.

Agree with that. I had quite a few thin dead alder in my woodland a few years ago but the woodpeckers tend to dig for grubs at the base of the trunks and have felled most of them. :001_rolleyes: On the bright side the squirrels are doing their bit to provide some more dead wood.

I guess the small stuff isn't going to stand on its ownfor too long anyway then

Yes, I do have some large ones - quite a few are dead conifer. Theres a dead beech trunk thats just gone over a couple of days ago. Theres one big dead hardwood, it could be elm but its difficult for me to tell. There are also a couple of big Poplars that are on the ground plus quote a few dead unknowns that are beyond identification. The temptation to convert to firewood is pretty strong for me, but i'm hoping but if its better to leave it for the wildlife I can resist :biggrin:

Nice thought on the '30 odd generations', thanks for that.

Stag beetles like dead stumps so maybe a compromise ? leave some as habitat and use some to keep warm . :001_smile:

As others have said leave the standing deadwood, when you start to her the woodpeckers it will be worth it. There are also many (including v.rare) species which only occupy standing deadwood, so don't do what I did when a youngster and go round kicking them over:blushing: