Working neglected woodland

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally would be cautious about getting ecologist in as you could end up with all sorts of restrictions in place. You seem to have good idea of what you want to whilst keeping everything in balance, common sense goes a long way. Good luck and enjoy.

What powers does an ecologist have then?

I've been doing ecological consultancy work for years and never realised I had the ability to impose restrictions on anyone.

An ecolologist is just like any other person you employ to do a job, he comes, he does the job and he goes away. He can only advise, not dictate.

What powers does an ecologist have then?

I've been doing ecological consultancy work for years and never realised I had the ability to impose restrictions on anyone.

An ecolologist is just like any other person you employ to do a job, he comes, he does the job and he goes away. He can only advise, not dictate.

If an ecologist finds a rare flora or fauna I think the concern is what he or she might do with that information. I am sure all of us would do our best to preserve rare species but as woodwasp suggests restrictions could be imposed and if they went over the top might prevent the primary objectives.

If an ecologist finds a rare flora or fauna I think the concern is what he or she might do with that information. I am sure all of us would do our best to preserve rare species but as woodwasp suggests restrictions could be imposed and if they went over the top might prevent the primary objectives.

If you pay the ecologist to collect data then any data is confidential and owned by you. There is no legal obligation to report rare species, pests or diseases. Some ecologists do have a clause that data can be released to 3rd parties but this is something to check.

Anyway,

If the wood is only 2 acres in size then it can't be much more than 30m from the centre to a woodland edge? I'd certainly go with the suggestion of the wheelbarrow. I do this occasionally (standard one contains about 0.1m3 of split wood) and you'll be surprised how much you can get out in a couple of hours.

If the gradient/terrain allows I'd consider putting in a gate and clearing a ride (or track) across the middle with somewhere to turn at the end. This will open up possibilities in the future.

Diversity is the key but if you are limited then oak, birch and willows harbour the most insect life (key for wildlife). I'd probably consider coppicing some of the sycamore as well.

Instead of going on an ID course I'd recommend buying the Collins guide to British Trees, should cover everything you need.

You can hire power barrows for a weekend, get everything cut and prepped ready for extraction then get it all out in day or so. You get high tip ones too so can empty straight into pickup or trailer

How much to you reckon it would cost to hire one for a weekend? Would be interesting to know but I think for the quantity of wood I'm thinking of extracting a hand barrow would do.

This thread has been enjoyable to read and learn from as well. A series of pictures charting the progress would really be interesting from a how to stand point so future members can say he or she has been there and done that. Thanks for sharing.

easy-lift guy

I agree Easy-lift guy. This is my first post on the forum (i've been lurking for a while). I have to say many thanks to all for the reponses I've had so far, much appreciated. Thats the second request for pictures so I'll take some next time I have a chance to get into the wood.

Hi 2 acres, I don't think you'd have to worry about grief from anyone ecology wise as you stated your grandad established the wood so it's not that old and is unlikely to have flora/fauna of national/local importance unless you have a pond etc in the wood or nearby which could hav great crested newts ( it would just mean taking care when moving cord that has been left to season ). If you havn't got a pond dig one, it's amazing how quickly it's ecosystem establishes with little help and your kids will love pond dipping for mini beasts! Sounds like anything you do will be if benefit.

Where in Norfolk are you? I'd be happy to come n hav a look if you like, being a fellow woodland owner and over 20 years of working lots of different woodland types/ages.

John