Keyhole shoulder opp recovery

geoff

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had this done I was told 3 months and I did tr to wait but only managed about 9 weeks. Went back too soon I think and am now going through the process of maybe having another op. Just had mri 3 weeks ago and got to see the consultant in 2 weeks to hear his decision on what to do now. Don't rush back!!

Hi geoff.

Had this op done followed by complete rotator cuff repair on both shoulders. Fantastic success. Anyway after first op to shave bones went out working with brushcutter a week later. Then out of curiosity u tubed the op and found out just how serious it actually is. Lots of internal raw surfaces so dont be fooled by the tiny incision scars. Two months of physio seemed excessive at time but probably worth it. Consultant wanted me to use the joint lightly DEFINITELY not climbing. Look at three months before climbing 6 weeks for heavy chainsawing.

If you need the rotator cuffs repairing expect to be not climbing for 10 months 8months before you use a saw!

Results are definitely worth the wait. - then look after them. I don't do hedges anymore, only do light climbs and have bought a sawmill to ease the load on the shoulders.

Shaun

Don't do nothing with it, it needs to be kept moving just dont load it, and keep pushing the limits of movement - to the point of stretching not pain. What you do now influences your range of movements later. I had a great consultant who believed the physios were too cautious, protecting themselves from litigation rather than advancing healing. Try to avoid hiding overuse with painkiller/anti inflammatory but use them wisely.

Best wishes

Shaun

Thanks, I might be getting ahead of myself with the Enid Blyton books I bought then...:biggrin:

Might have some of Dominic's old Janet and Johns knocking about somewhere if you want me to look for them. On a more serious note, plenty of interesting WW1 or WW2 reading on my shelves if you need to borrow any. :001_smile:

I had very similar op done 7 years ago and as a paraplegic my shoulders are very important to me to use a wheelchair. I was advised no load on the shoulders for 3 weeks but physio every day. Then take it steady ( this was me he was talking to haha) and physio for the next 3 months. I did as I was told ( well nearly) and was about to go away alone and be self caring as a mentor for flying scholarships for disabled after 3 weeks and back at work as Headgroundsman at hotel after 6 weeks. The prolonged physio and exercises really helped and the shoulder has served me well since.

I had very similar op done 7 years ago and as a paraplegic my shoulders are very important to me to use a wheelchair. I was advised no load on the shoulders for 3 weeks but physio every day. Then take it steady ( this was me he was talking to haha) and physio for the next 3 months. I did as I was told ( well nearly) and was about to go away alone and be self caring as a mentor for flying scholarships for disabled after 3 weeks and back at work as Headgroundsman at hotel after 6 weeks. The prolonged physio and exercises really helped and the shoulder has served me well since.

Thank you mate,I think I will get back to light duties fairly soon, and will persevere with the physio.

Might have some of Dominic's old Janet and Johns knocking about somewhere if you want me to look for them. On a more serious note, plenty of interesting WW1 or WW2 reading on my shelves if you need to borrow any. :001_smile:

I have a few WW1 books myself, two from dispatch riders that are interesting.:001_smile: