4 wheel drive and diffs on Isuzu Dmax

Woodworks

I have manual freewheeling hubs on the front axle of my 15 year old isuzu pickup which means i can 'unlock them' and engage Low range (4L) and only the rear axle is 'driven', this i find invaluable for hauling an overweight trailer up the very steep hills where i live. I wonder if anyone has ever fitted manual freewheeling hubs to the front axle of a Rodeo (2003-2012) or even the latest D Max (2012-present) ???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely amazed at how basic the 4x4 system is on these modern type '4x4' pickups, I had no idea. How can it possibly be rated to tow 3.5t (as many are now) when it doesn't even have a usable road going 4x4 system- I believe this is a very dangerous combination unless your on flat ground most of the time.

I was recently for a moment just ever so slightly considering trading my Landy in for one of these pickups as its now a 15 year old truck, but I wouldn't even consider it now iv learned about this- they would be almost totally useless in my application.

I remember using a 1 year old L200 a while ago, and had to back a 1.3ton trailer along a section with a few winds in it, I consider myself to be good at trailer work but the clutch was stinking by the time I had finished, not something iv ever experienced with my Landrover shunting considerably bigger loads around.

I'm absolutely amazed at how basic the 4x4 system is on these modern type '4x4' pickups, I had no idea. How can it possibly be rated to tow 3.5t (as many are now) when it doesn't even have a usable road going 4x4 system- I believe this is a very dangerous combination unless your on flat ground most of the time.

I was recently for a moment just ever so slightly considering trading my Landy in for one of these pickups as its now a 15 year old truck, but I wouldn't even consider it now iv learned about this- they would be almost totally useless in my application.

I remember using a 1 year old L200 a while ago, and had to back a 1.3ton trailer along a section with a few winds in it, I consider myself to be good at trailer work but the clutch was stinking by the time I had finished, not something iv ever experienced with my Landrover shunting considerably bigger loads around.

I've got an Isuzu and tow some pretty hefty stuff about up some steep hills never had a problem. When do you really need 4 x4 on the road ? I've driven both and no which I prefer. :001_smile:

When comes to pure hard graft the Landy wins hands down but it depends on your work. Started doing a fair few miles on road with lightish loads.

Don't arrive feeling like I have just done a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson just getting to site. :laugh1:

Can see out the windscreen as the de-mist works!

Don't arrive with ringing in my ears.

The doors actually keep the water out.

Horses for courses I guess.

I've got an Isuzu and tow some pretty hefty stuff about up some steep hills never had a problem. When do you really need 4 x4 on the road ? I've driven both and no which I prefer. :001_smile:

Devon lanes are steep, narrow and slimey. 4x4 on road can be real handy around here.

I can only speak from experience but have owned landcrusiers,fourtraks,discos,RR, hilux,trooper, navarra, 110.

For moving trailers you can't beat the land rover low box with no diff lock the d2 was just about ok for reliability the d4 a complete disaster . So in future there will be no more Lrs for us. The land cruiser 4.2 and new v8 is too expensive to buy and fuel for work.

That leaves the Ranger, dmax and hilux re certified to 3500kg.

I have in the past used low box in a Navarra to tow 3000kg up a steep Tarmac motorway with no ill effect especially if towing in a straight line. If you are on a steep hill and need to pull a heavy trailer of the line I think you will do less damage in low box than slipping the clutch. I don't know what went wrong with the shogun but if I get a good load of ballast on my ifor tt105 the whole lot will weigh 5 tonne. Since the shogun is only designed to tow 2600kg that could have been the problem, I would imagine the reason he selected low box is he could not move the trailer in high.

I think you can feel if you are straining the transmission by using common sense which most of you have plenty of :001_smile:

I do appreciate the comfort and quietness/ general car like attributes of pickups, and in this respect the landrover is considerably outdated and suffers from many niggles to boot. But I do need 4x4 on the road too, as Beau says, the devon lanes are a complete nightmare being single tracked and covered in mud/algae, Even with 4x4 on the landrover I can get a fair bit of slippage when I tow my 3 ton digger up a hill particularly when you have to stop several times whilst going up to let oncoming cars squeeze by!

I would not want the same weight behind something in 2x4 in those circumstances.

I do appreciate the comfort and quietness/ general car like attributes of pickups, and in this respect the landrover is considerably outdated and suffers from many niggles to boot. But I do need 4x4 on the road too, as Beau says, the devon lanes are a complete nightmare being single tracked and covered in mud/algae, Even with 4x4 on the landrover I can get a fair bit of slippage when I tow my 3 ton digger up a hill particularly when you have to stop several times whilst going up to let oncoming cars squeeze by!

I would not want the same weight behind something in 2x4 in those circumstances.

This is why I bought the Amarok, Full time 4x4, torsen auto locking centre diff, traction control and an 8 speed auto gearbox. Its quite an impressive towing setup but can only legally tow 3200kg.

This is why I bought the Amarok, Full time 4x4, torsen auto locking centre diff, traction control and an 8 speed auto gearbox. Its quite an impressive towing setup but can only legally tow 3200kg.

sounds loike this is the answer then, how and ever i'll never be able to afford one.:blushing:

I think when you get to this stage in your business for the sake of safety and cost it's time to consider a 7.5 tonne beaver tail and operators licence. Pulling 2500 kg for an hour a week is a trailer job but if your moving big machinery 3-4 days a week to a work site it's time for a little lorry with tacho and the brakes to match especially in hilly slippery terrain. I have in the past took a step back and looked at the 2.5 tonne bobcat purched on the 5 year old trailer behind the 10 year 110 and thought what would this look like in court if someone got hurt. Answer = ridiculas