EU court rules fatness now officially a disability

Wood wasp

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wishing to get into the heartbreaking detail of personal circumstances, the high level picture surely is a decent into a 'dependent' society rather than a self sufficient one...

Disability prevalence disaggregated by gender for Great Britain (millions) source:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321594/disability-prevalence.pdf

2002/03 2003/04 2004/05 2005/06 2006/07 2007/08 2008/09 2009/10 2010/11 2011/12

Male 4.9 4.8 4.9 5.2 4.9 5.0 5.1 5.1 5.3 5.4

Female 5.5 5.3 5.3 5.7 5.5 5.6 5.8 5.8 5.9 6.3

All 10.4 10.1 10.1 10.8 10.4 10.6 10.9 11.0 11.2 11.6

Plus

the obesity graph

=

higher tax, less people contributing?

Sow a thought; Reap an action. Sow an action; reap a habit. Sow a habit; reap a character. Sow a character; reap a destiny.. (Steven Covey)

This is true, wether you are talking about drug addiction, alcoholism, eating disorders , or any destructive behaviour pattern.

When governments put the label of "illness" or "disability" on these behaviours and consequences they are removing responsibility from people.

When I was an addict ( I am not any more ) a doctor told me I was an addict because I was "ill" and had a "disability" thereby I was not responsible for my condition ( or the misery I inflicted on my family )

I didn't accept this. I knew that I WAS responsible for my own bad choices.

I chose a different destiny. Not a "disability" label.

Sow a thought; Reap an action. Sow an action; reap a habit. Sow a habit; reap a character. Sow a character; reap a destiny.. (Steven Covey).

Could the problem - and obesity is widely recognised as the next big (ha, ha,) problem to hit the NHS - have been avoided by not removing 'home economics' from the school syllabus? Do people just not know how to cook from fresh anymore? Is that the thought, action, habit, character, destiny that we've all but lost?

I remembering passing a particular veg plot next to the road on my way to work each day. The guy used to infuriate me that he was always so well organised and probably 2-3 weeks ahead of me in prep, planting and growth. It didn't seriously infuriate me, actually I was envious and it spurred me on and motivated me. But maybe he had a lot more time to spend on it?

So, if I didn't have a job I know I'd have the best veg plot in the parish, so why aren't our 2 million unemployed clearing up at the championship veg shows? It's a bit simplistic I guess, not everyone has a garden, but there is scope and potential for innovative solutions almost everywhere.

Give a man a fish, he'll feed himself. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll feed his family (er, me, probably misquoting someone much cleverererer)

Give 'em seeds not ££££s!

And give them food banks and they'll be able to afford to get an iPhone, have sky and the biggest latest TV systems. The root of the problem is this country is idleness, so long as someone else does everything for them they won't have too. My friends wife sorts food banks locally, and what a joke it's become!! They even pick and choose what they want, and complain if they only like a certain brand. This country is going backwards fast, and it's not the migrant workers causing this, it's the pathetic British people who can't help themselves get off their own backsides. No wonder we're a joke in the rest of the world. If a tubby Tubster wants to make a recovery, they are quite able, eat less, work harder and watch the pounds fall away, or if it's really bad, have a gastric band fitted. I have no time nor sympathy for the obese, or the idle.

Could the problem - and obesity is widely recognised as the next big (ha, ha,) problem to hit the NHS - have been avoided by not removing 'home economics' from the school syllabus? Do people just not know how to cook from fresh anymore? Is that the thought, action, habit, character, destiny that we've all but lost?

I remembering passing a particular veg plot next to the road on my way to work each day. The guy used to infuriate me that he was always so well organised and probably 2-3 weeks ahead of me in prep, planting and growth. It didn't seriously infuriate me, actually I was envious and it spurred me on and motivated me. But maybe he had a lot more time to spend on it?

So, if I didn't have a job I know I'd have the best veg plot in the parish, so why aren't our 2 million unemployed clearing up at the championship veg shows? It's a bit simplistic I guess, not everyone has a garden, but there is scope and potential for innovative solutions almost everywhere.

Give a man a fish, he'll feed himself. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll feed his family (er, me, probably misquoting someone much cleverererer)

Give 'em seeds not ££££s!

As long as they are not Monsanto seeds! :)

The excuse fat people come up with it is usually that they cannot afford to eat healthily. If you are too preoccupied with when the next payment is coming in and how to fiddle more out of the system you haven't got time to grow food and look what is good or bad for you. Look at the Iceland party food adverts on telly now and you'll notice how little green there is on the table. That is where they see what they expect to get, where a lot of them get their education. Go back to food stamps to be spent on vegetables at a grocery store instead of handing them wads of cash and if anybody gets money have them do work for it to the value of payment, street sweeping or anything to show that the money doesn't just appear out of thin air. The money saved at the food bank round here goes on fags and booze.

Edited by peatff

well i am fat ...oh good can i get a blue badge and park at tesco without getting door dinged.,but i will tell you this i can still out work a 17 year old any day .and i am only 20 stone.had a young lad after a job ,he played rugby,went to gym 3 times a week ...sacked him at lunchtime,he could send 20 texts an hour to my one but i would chuck 3 logs in truck to his one ...so who is disabled?

:thumbup:

And give them food banks and they'll be able to afford to get an iPhone, have sky and the biggest latest TV systems. The root of the problem is this country is idleness, so long as someone else does everything for them they won't have too. My friends wife sorts food banks locally, and what a joke it's become!! They even pick and choose what they want, and complain if they only like a certain brand. This country is going backwards fast, and it's not the migrant workers causing this, it's the pathetic British people who can't help themselves get off their own backsides. No wonder we're a joke in the rest of the world. If a tubby Tubster wants to make a recovery, they are quite able, eat less, work harder and watch the pounds fall away, or if it's really bad, have a gastric band fitted. I have no time nor sympathy for the obese, or the idle.

Our ARB business is set up to help addicts turn their lives around....

Our "recovery" programme is free to enter but residents must work a realistic working week in one of our charitable businesses to fund their own recovery... Gaining work skills and more importantly a work ethic.

Only the very broken and desperate seem to grasp the opportunity..

Why??? Because we've created a national culture of "helplessness"

Habitual criminals and drug addicts are labeled "vulnerable adults" and no one is allowed to challenge them because they are "vulnerable" and it infringes their human rights (believe me, when I was a junkie I was anything BUT vulnerable, I was a menace.) So we pension them of with state sponsored methadone prescriptions, free flats and £280 per week disability living allowance... Tell them that they are sick or disabled with no hope and then create an industry around it...No wonder so few seek real change for their lives...... Why should they.?????