Landrover/PTO Chipper

waz77

If you can find the PTO set up which is$ as rare as rocking horse poo, then no probs, a mate of mine has been toying with it, he has the PTO unit fitted to a series one with a perkins turbo in it, but has given up on the plan, as it was never worth the hassle......

You can legally tow two trailers, one behind the other i think- tow a trailer which tows a chipper maybe?

Or get a mog!

I'd love a mog but im a pauper,thats why im exploring other avenues but i realise it might not be worth the hassle....but worth asking around i reckon

Yeah, i'd love one too!! I still dont think there is much mileage in trying to fit a chipper to the back of a landy after the hassles my mate has encountered.

Dont let that stop you, as he may not be the worlds best engineer, and the problems he has encountered may be easily surmountable.:001_smile:

I don't think it would be worth doing.

As far as I know the PTO its pretty light and designed to run highspeed low torque things like Hydraulic pumps and maybe a sawbench at a pinch.Plus having that weight hanging off the rear,plus the weight of the mount as you would have to swing the chipper to the side when you dump unless you fitted a side tipper (more weight in that).

I could easily fit a shaft to the rear of my mog,attach a propeller.Make some giant Pontoons and have an anphibious unimog.

Or I could just use the boat.

When I first drove Land Rovers 30 years ago they all came with a hole through the rear chassis crossmember as standard so you could fit the PTO option.

That is true, but as Mike pointed out, they were designed to run things like the dairy compressor. I reckon you could almost buy a mog for the amount you would spend beefing up the back end of the land rover:scared1::001_smile:

Someone's had a go at developing something like this..it was called the agri rover. There's a picture of one with a wood chipper. It was based on a 110, but they cut the chassis right back to the rear axle to get the 3 pt linkage in, so there's very little load space. I suppose the whole thing would have been like a mini mog.