Scum bags!

simonm

Without sounding too harsh I think it's only fair to point out that as the contractor you are responsible for making sure that you have the right permission from the right person , for a start - a written quotation outlining the scope of works,cost and most importantly - the landowners details,address,contact details( land line) and a signature of that person , why not jot the reg no of the vehicle that the person turns up in or that's on the drive way .

As much as I can imagine your angry there is still no need to make claims of it being the traveling folk not all traveling folk need the tar of your brush , some are actually decent honest human beings . But the bottom line is to see it as a learning curve and move on from it

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the person i originally met was just a front man, he sounded as Yorkshire as me! The bloke who rang a week later was clearly Irish! He even claimed another company had said they would put it right for 100quid! Utter rubbish as the other firm was run by a m8 of mine who had never seen the job. You live and learn, sure everyone has been stung at some point, just hope others will also learn from this too.

I'm sure the genuine Irish members of Arbtalk will love you tarring them all as Travelling scum.:001_rolleyes:

Without sounding too harsh I think it's only fair to point out that as the contractor you are responsible for making sure that you have the right permission from the right person , for a start - a written quotation outlining the scope of works,cost and most importantly - the landowners details,address,contact details( land line) and a signature of that person , why not jot the reg no of the vehicle that the person turns up in or that's on the drive way .

As much as I can imagine your angry there is still no need to make claims of it being the traveling folk not all traveling folk need the tar of your brush , some are actually decent honest human beings . But the bottom line is to see it as a learning curve and move on from it

all of the above was done! The only thing i didn't get was a signature as he told me he worked away through the week. I am not tarring all traveling folk as scum at all! However these ones in particular genuinely are, i am yet to meet an honest 1! I also think that taking registrations it a bit extreme, why would i question if he is the property owner when he clearly and convincingly says he is.

Edited by simonm
missed info

Because the person i originally met was just a front man, he sounded as Yorkshire as me! The bloke who rang a week later was clearly Irish! He even claimed another company had said they would put it right for 100quid! Utter rubbish as the other firm was run by a m8 of mine who had never seen the job. You live and learn, sure everyone has been stung at some point, just hope others will also learn from this too.

So the man that pulled the wool over your eyes was not an Irish Traveller then, but a Yorkshire man.:001_rolleyes:

all of the above was done! The only thing i didn't get was a signature as he told me he worked away through the week. I am not tarring all traveling folk as scum at all! However these ones in particular genuinely are, i am yet to meet an honest 1!

Clearly you hadn't done all of the above , secondary address seeing as he was not living there ? Landline number ? The signature is key , if you had checked these details out and they had not been authentic would you have carried out the work ? You don't get these details not to use them to authenticate the person/job and establish ownership . Secondly the signature is key - no signature no work - simple , there are some decent traveling folk and I can imagine you have already upset a few on here . There are two you can go down - 1 accept that you are just as at fault and learn from it or start making comments about minorities and making accusations and find your self back in the same situation again or find yourself being made the target of some pretty unhappy people .

I'm really not having a go fella but really try and step back and look at it from another angle

Clearly you hadn't done all of the above , secondary address seeing as he was not living there ? Landline number ? The signature is key , if you had checked these details out and they had not been authentic would you have carried out the work ? You don't get these details not to use them to authenticate the person/job and establish ownership . Secondly the signature is key - no signature no work - simple , there are some decent traveling folk and I can imagine you have already upset a few on here . There are two you can go down - 1 accept that you are just as at fault and learn from it or start making comments about minorities and making accusations and find your self back in the same situation again or find yourself being made the target of some pretty unhappy people .

I'm really not having a go fella but really try and step back and look at it from another angle

Yeah right, if you had asked for a signature he would have thrown his hands up and shouted "Oh you got me!!":001_rolleyes: FFS!!!:001_rolleyes:

If your an honest straight forward person your easy to fool, because you don't think like these Cretanas scum!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Sorry but i do not agree at all, the address he gave and number, i did not feel the need to authenticate these as the lad seemed 100% genuine, its not until things came to light that i found out these were false. Do you question every customer you deal with check their address, registration number etc. I turned up to quote for a job i thought was genuine, we carried out the work that was agreed on the site meeting to the letter, there is only so much you can do falling short of asking for id! i never asked to work for free nor to spend all week worrying about being ripped off! i totally agree with the signature this is something i will be changing. The accusations i am making are real, not some made up pap. i am not trying to upset honest hard working folk what ever their colour, race or background, I am simply pointing out the situation i am in in the hope that others wont be as trusting as i was.

Huck really ?? Is it that hard ?? no signature = no work , in this case had the guy signed then at least there would have been some documented proof to give the actual land owner when he gets in touch and at at the very least helps to prove that you had taken all reasonable steps to ensure that you had consent to carry out the work. In this day in age a paper trail is as important as the tools to do the job .