Stihl 180 problem

Mark Bolam

• 4 months later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve got one of these and find that every now and again it floods badly. Dont know why it does it, but with the plug removed and turned upside down, a shedload of mix comes out.

I just let it drain, heat the plug with a lighter, reassemble, and its off like a top.It will be fine again for a while.

Its only my light pruning saw, so i dont worry too much about it, and have had it apart to fix an oiling problem. Nothing showed up.

Is the plug really wet after only a few pulls?

Might be the tank vent not working too well leaving a vacuum,allowing an amount of fuel to be drawn up when left standing.

Edited by raker

Yes sounds like he's scored the piston... As above get him to take the exhaust off and get a picture of what the piston looks like in the up position.

My mate had an MS180 that went on for about 3 years and he did everything with it... I bought one and scored the pistons after 2 weeks doing chainsaw carving...

My mates one was the older model ...

Old plug looked fine, grey if anything.

Even he wouldn't have oiled the wrong end!

I wouldn't know a damaged piston if I saw one!

I know it's only a hobby saw, but 1 hours use!

Maybe I'll get him an 88 next birthday. With a 12" bar...

This is what piston damage looks like, Homelite that was given to me to sort out, now in the bin and a damaged piston from a 441.

IMG00025-20100718-1014.jpg.71205737829aaa9a500a46e43a3cb1d2.jpg

IMG00024-20100718-1013.jpg.37183ab748228a23c4991ff84147edc6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark

Did you ever sort the problem out with your father in laws MS180 because I also have a problem starting mine? Mine is very temperamental and pretty unreliable. I have only had it a couple of years and it has spent alot of this time out of action.

Did you check the piston as suggested by one of the other members?

hi mate sounds like u need to strip the carb down wash with 2 stoke petrol put back together , most problems of this sort are caused though dirty petrol, failin that check all the fuel pipes for cracks and failing that stick a tea spoon of 2 stoke fuel staright down the carb in to the piston should fire at least once if it dont start then dunno m8 sound like u need profesional help i.e dealer hope this helps pete