Protos helmets

palborough

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's acutally much more difference than that.

31 dB - 23 dB (SNR) gives a difference of 8 dB. But sound intensity is measured using a logarithmic scale, where a 3 dB change is equal to double/half the sound pressure. So when 23 dB SNR unit lets through about 6 times (600%) as much sound energy as a 31 dB SNR unit.

I was just looking at the protos after reading this thread, and not to be a nit picker but it actually appears to be rated at 26db. I'm still stunned that for all that incredible impact protection, which will hopefully never need to be depended upon; the hearing protection, which definitely will be, is inadequate. Where's the sense in that :confused1:

I was just looking at the protos after reading this thread, and not to be a nit picker but it actually appears to be rated at 26db. I'm still stunned that for all that incredible impact protection, which will hopefully never need to be depended upon; the hearing protection, which definitely will be, is inadequate. Where's the sense in that :confused1:

That is not nit-picking! That is correcting an error :blushing:

Fortunately (for me), the 23 dB SNR was not my figure.

The updated ratio, comparing SNR: 31 dB - 26 dB = 5 dB is a difference of just about 300%, i.e. the Protos hearing protection lets through 3 times as much sound power than the MSA Sordins

The updated ratio, comparing SNR: 31 dB - 26 dB = 5 dB is a difference of just about 300%, i.e. the Protos hearing protection lets through 3 times as much sound power than the MSA Sordins

Hi morten it did not fit well at all when I looked at one at the APF SHOW thanks Jon

Yeah that's me then ,Oh dear !

They sure to me don't feel 26 though.

This was my original source off a thread on Arb talk from the distributor ... In hindsight it's not clear as she gives two different figures through out the thread and this ones the later.

I can only apologise for the disinformation !

Whoa, 🐎 !! Steady up boys before you go chopping up old ear defenders and shoving them into Protos!!

Here's an Advisory Notice (that you probably know already, but just to confirm)....

This practice is not recommended by Protos and if you do alter the specification of Protos and/or it's components, product warranty from Protos/Pfanner would be instantly voided. (Same applies with the application of stickers to the helmet).

At the moment Protos ear defenders are rated to 23SNR. Protos are working on increasing the rating but maximum is likely to be around 27SNR as the overall thickness of the ear defenders needs to be kept to a minimum to enable the ear defenders to 'park' up inside the helmet.

Some Protos customers are happy to use ear plugs when working chippers etc that require higher SNR rating.

Some news...

Pleased to advise that integrated safety glasses for Protos will be available soon. These will attach onto the headband and when out of use will slip neatly up inside the brow area. Also a plexi-visor is being designed too, so you can switch between mesh visor and clear visor.

Cheers, Y 😊