Protos helmets

palborough

BOOO! Party Pooper Dan!

Sorry Paul. I'm used to wearing the big sordin defenders, just about anything pales in comparison. Granted, the protos defenders are meant for chainsaws only, but I would imagine the majority of arbs come into contact with chippers on a fairly regular basis. Visors irritate me so I wouldn't want one.

I do appreciate the thought and effort that's gone into the protos but I think actual functionality and protection have taken a back seat to making it streamlined with all it's clean seams.

Before anyone comments, I know that the shell is higher rated than most helmets, I'm referring again to the ear defenders.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great helmet and weighs about the same as Vertex Vent with Peltor nylon mesh visor and H10P3E muffs.

Unlike the Vertex Vent though the head strap doesn't loosen and the mesh visor is integrated so doesn't get caught and ripped off.

I changed to the fine mesh visor from the standard that came as default.

Makes you feel like a Top Gun pilot...Iceman or Maverick

the head strap adjusts just fine you just need to read the instructions, i have adjustment left despite having a 62cm bonce

Good bits: ear defenders don't get ripped off, very well ventilated, the visor doesn't rip off, is the clearest visor on the market whist not letting much through and it leaves no room round the side for twigs to get in, the neck clamp is great and the whole hat is super adjustable so its sits right on your head

bad bits: the ear defenders are not powerfull enough/ in the right positions to clamp down on my super wide bonce which means occasionally having to shuffle the muffs to ensure they are making the air tight seal on my head because if they're not god you know it! when on they make a nice air tight seal i find them not too bad but if im chipping all day i try to put ear plugs un underneath them which gives unrivaled protection, also the stupid sweat bands rip out & get lost for a past time

all in all great for climbing not great for chipping the best helmet on the market but still a way from perfect so is it worth the extra money???? i'm not too sure as its lifespan is about half that of a vertex!!!!! so its actually 4x the price pro rata

I personally think they are by far the best helmet on the market as far as comfort, adjustability the quality of the visor, safety and the ear defenders are nice and compact however don't provide as good a protection like others have mentioned and also the fact that the sweat bad at the front fall off all the time great lid though

I love my proto. Get it with the Bluetooth. It helps keeping in contact with your crew without the yelling and hand signals. The muffs alone keep everything quite. The only thing I don't like about the shield is that during the winter it fogs up and you can't see that well. But if you drill some holes by the mouth piece it works great. The mesh shield just lets all the saw dust through unless you have the glass that go with it I wouldn't use the mesh shield. If you have the vents open they work terrific. Then if you want to keep the heat in close them up and it's like having a winter hat on.

Sorry Paul. I'm used to wearing the big sordin defenders, just about anything pales in comparison. Granted, the protos defenders are meant for chainsaws only, but I would imagine the majority of arbs come into contact with chippers on a fairly regular basis. Visors irritate me so I wouldn't want one.

I do appreciate the thought and effort that's gone into the protos but I think actual functionality and protection have taken a back seat to making it streamlined with all it's clean seams.

Before anyone comments, I know that the shell is higher rated than most helmets, I'm referring again to the ear defenders.

Can you not interchange the ear defenders to the msa ones?

I'm happy with my petzl just asking out of curiosity I've only ever tried the protos on in gusthearts and it seemed comfy I never experienced the ear defenders other than putting them down in the shop :laugh1:

Sordins wouldn't attatch into the clip inside the helmet CJM....protos ear defenders bend the opposite way to regular ones and are half the size so msa's wouldn't integrate into the lid either.I find it perfect but I do the climbing so don't spend much time at the chipper these days abd it cancels the chainsaw adequately enough for me...and like I said I have the dial set at maximum ear pressure...

1417374996191.jpg.17b8053a3e63f2cfa45fee22e7740158.jpg

Sordins wouldn't attatch into the clip inside the helmet CJM....protos ear defenders bend the opposite way to regular ones and are half the size so msa's wouldn't integrate into the lid either.I find it perfect but I do the climbing so don't spend much time at the chipper these days abd it cancels the chainsaw adequately enough for me...and like I said I have the dial set at maximum ear pressure...

I see I've ended up putting those red inserts on my msa defenders just because I like my hearing and they make a decent difference. I'm presuming pfanner could come up with something similar for these ones