the Walnut Wrangle

Olly C

go and be a girl and join the 'thin it' group.. on you go, thin it out, force whats left skyward and it will just snap out later, walnut are horrible things imo. the only tree ever to drag me into a big hopper, evil evil trees... in all seriousness, either do it in a oner and it will come back evenly and vigerously, it will look a bit scary for a few years but for the life of the tree to be extended then this will do it and it will be budget tree pruning, if you want it too look the part and hang a swing on it for the kids then a light reduction and every year from now to eternity will be required so will a nice full wallet. so its either what is best for you or what is best for the tree.:001_smile:

Nah, I'm with you Stevie. Leave it or beast it. Thinning and light reductions are great. For rich people!

I bet it would make a cracking bench....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As soon as people mention walnut all I'm thinking of is what the wood will look like as you're slicing it.... pretty good I'd imagine.

Took a lovely 2 footer down before I was into milling and never seen one since.

And ditto Mark - light reductions are great if you have nothing better to do with your time. Leave it or give it a solid haircut!