Wood burning from the top down ...

Stubby

Think that is the gas burning off or secondary burn as its called . Get the tongs and pull a log out and see if its burnt top or bottem ! :biggrin:

It wasn't even up to temp when I took the photo, kindling was still burning so no secondary burn yet.

As I mentioned earlier I've seen logs catch at the top and burn down like a match, not every time but it def happens.

Edited by kev7937

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reckon looking at those pictures and thinking back to bunsen burners at school the flame does not start at the immediate combustion point. The colour kicks in a little higher.

Yep that's gas . A space under the nozzle for the air to complete combustion . Same with the gas coming off the log has flames dancing above it but the actual log still seems to me to be consumed from underneath .

Yea that's what I mean . The bottom of the log is more burnt than the top .

Mmmm, The barks at the bottoms glowing where its in contact with the coals but the tops catching from the secondary burn, it may not be the perfect example but it def happens , not all or everytime but sometimes the top catches before the bottom.

Bloody things flopped onto the glass now and I'm gonna have a hearth covered in glowing elm embers when I open the door.

Last time I try and prove a point about which I don't care :001_smile:

Most of the places I have seen advice for lighting from the top have been North American websites. From what I have seen of their EPA approved stoves they have insulated board at the top of the firebox. Is it possible that this makes it very hot at the top so making top lighting more effective?

Technicly the wood doesent burn, no organic matter does. when heat is applied Pyrolysis takes place in the wood giving off a gas this rises and mixes with oxygen and combusts giving flame.

Ive seen reverse flue designs that draw from the bottom sucking the flames back through the wood, very efficient i believe.