Large chainsaw recomendations.

name_mike

we went down the route of the 2.4m posch splitter, you can get guides to bridge between the channel and the splitting blade for short logs, we tend to split the bigger rings on this 25"+ split into 4 and then finish them on a vertical.

theres a video from about 7 years ago when we were experimenting with it.

Looks like a fine piece of equipment. I think I'll just be going for the 1.25m stroke one. I'll cut the logs before they go in and hopefully get them through an 8 way splitter in one push if its 20" or less. Anything bigger will have to go through the 4 way a few times to get it down. Good thing about the large biomass boilers is they can handle a large diameter / thickness of billet so they don't need to be matchsticks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing a bit more thinking and I've come up with our process.

1. transport logs to site on small forwarding trailer with grab. The capacity of this grab is going to be our limiting factor in what diameter logs we can handle. Probably no bigger than 20" so huge saw is no longer required.

2. Cut logs to length on back of forwarder.

3. Pick cut log off the back of the forwarder and place onto horizontal splitter bed (probably posch splitmaster 30).

4. Split log into billets which come out onto splitter 'outfeed table'.

5. Slide billets off 'outfeed table' into 700mm round cradles (probably have three at the back of the splitter.

6. Once cradles are full tie them using "Knoti" - ....binden ohne Knoten ties to make 700mm diamter billet bundles.

7. Pick billet bundles out of cradles using forwarding trailer grab.

8. Once forwarding trailer starts to empty load the bundles onto the forwarding trailer then take them and stack them in a large poly tunnel using the grab.

9. Once seasoned the forwarding trailer will be re-loaded with billet bundles which will be transported to the boiler room.

10. For shorter logs the billet bundles will be dropped into an elevated cradle and cross cut a couple of times. The logs will fall out of the cradle into a bag below.

Theres a few bespoke bits of kit to find or make to make this system work but I think it will be quite time and labour efficient as the logs are handled an absolute minimum.

Forgot to mention, My boiler room is down in my cellar so to move the billet bundles about in the cellar I've bought 32 old woolworths tall wheeled cages which each take 1m3. These are 720mm wide hence the 700mm billet bundles. Two bundles will be lifted into each cage by the forwarder grab then untied. They'll then be taken down into the cellar on a hydraulic lift. Once in the cellar is easy to move wood from the wood store room into the boiler room. The boiler room can fit 6 of the these cages in (6m3) so by the time the wood is burned its been in the warm boiler room a few days so it's really dry (12 - 15% mostly).

I've been doing a bit more thinking and I've come up with our process.

1. transport logs to site on small forwarding trailer with grab. The capacity of this grab is going to be our limiting factor in what diameter logs we can handle. Probably no bigger than 20" so huge saw is no longer required.

2. Cut logs to length on back of forwarder.

3. Pick cut log off the back of the forwarder and place onto horizontal splitter bed (probably posch splitmaster 30).

4. Split log into billets which come out onto splitter 'outfeed table'.

5. Slide billets off 'outfeed table' into 700mm round cradles (probably have three at the back of the splitter.

6. Once cradles are full tie them using "Knoti" - ....binden ohne Knoten ties to make 700mm diamter billet bundles.

7. Pick billet bundles out of cradles using forwarding trailer grab.

8. Once forwarding trailer starts to empty load the bundles onto the forwarding trailer then take them and stack them in a large poly tunnel using the grab.

9. Once seasoned the forwarding trailer will be re-loaded with billet bundles which will be transported to the boiler room.

10. For shorter logs the billet bundles will be dropped into an elevated cradle and cross cut a couple of times. The logs will fall out of the cradle into a bag below.

Theres a few bespoke bits of kit to find or make to make this system work but I think it will be quite time and labour efficient as the logs are handled an absolute minimum.

Think you may need a rethink on how your going to unload your bundles inside a 20 mtr x 8 mtr polytunnel although it will be fun to watch.