Large chainsaw recomendations.

name_mike

I've Just got myself a biomass boiler capable of handling 1m long billets. I'm planning to invest in a large splitter capable of splitting large diameter logs so I'm going to need a largish chainsaw to cut said logs. If you have any experience, recommendations or advice i'm all ears.

I'm going to be cutting and splitting 100 tonne a year for the next 20 years as we're on the commercial RHI so I don't mind investing in some good equipment that will last and make the job a little easier.

I have some experience of handling chainsaws but this will be a big step up from previous usage.

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd spend a large chunk on a mini digger, grab and cone splitter if you're wanting to handle that amount yourself. Drop 15k on that and an MS660 and it'd be easy.

You'd end up spending at least that amount in labour and your time if doing it manually for just 5 years.

I've Just got myself a biomass boiler capable of handling 1m long billets. I'm planning to invest in a large splitter capable of splitting large diameter logs so I'm going to need a largish chainsaw to cut said logs. If you have any experience, recommendations or advice i'm all ears.

I'm going to be cutting and splitting 100 tonne a year for the next 20 years as we're on the commercial RHI so I don't mind investing in some good equipment that will last and make the job a little easier.

I have some experience of handling chainsaws but this will be a big step up from previous usage.

Thanks

Mike

Hi mike can I ask how large your bio mass is mate as 2 ton a week sounds 100ton a year my old my THERES going to be no trees left soon thanks Jon

100 ton a year + the equipment + the education time to learn all the mistakes you can make, would it not be better to do a few more hours at the day job and buy your fuel from a merchant. gotta be cheaper for someone to come on site with equipment and you can get your exercise from stacking the pile they create.