Stobarts not payin for wood chip

nick channer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to an ICF meeting about woodchip with a biomass company (forest fuels) and a company who regulates them (can't remember their name) both saying that new regulations were coming in to enforce all biomass companies to obtain at least 80% of material (chip and timber) from sustainable sources. Sustainable included timber from approved management plan woodlands AND all tree surgery waste. The other stipulation was that it must be legal, so felling license etc for timber and they weren't sure how that would work for tree surgery waste. They suggested you may have to prove you checked TPOs/Conservation area for your work and completed applications where necessary. Forest Fuels said that when these regulations come into play, more biomass companies will have to look at arb waste as there's not enough sustainable timber. Should be good news for Arb and Forestry industries as their will also be more demand for management plans and woodland management.

I went to an ICF meeting about woodchip with a biomass company (forest fuels) and a company who regulates them (can't remember their name) both saying that new regulations were coming in to enforce all biomass companies to obtain at least 80% of material (chip and timber) from sustainable sources. Sustainable included timber from approved management plan woodlands AND all tree surgery waste. The other stipulation was that it must be legal, so felling license etc for timber and they weren't sure how that would work for tree surgery waste. They suggested you may have to prove you checked TPOs/Conservation area for your work and completed applications where necessary. Forest Fuels said that when these regulations come into play, more biomass companies will have to look at arb waste as there's not enough sustainable timber. Should be good news for Arb and Forestry industries as their will also be more demand for management plans and woodland management.

Interesting post..... Does that mean that producers of chip i.e tree surgeons, and the yards that process and supply chip will have any influence over the price? Or will companies such as Stobart's have the monopoly over it? In much the same way that supermarkets dictate the price of milk?

Thanks,

Timon

Interesting post..... Does that mean that producers of chip i.e tree surgeons, and the yards that process and supply chip will have any influence over the price? Or will companies such as Stobart's have the monopoly over it? In much the same way that supermarkets dictate the price of milk?

Thanks,

Timon

If tree surgeons are prepared to put in the effort to comply with the red tape they will have a very valuable product. Unfortunately current tree surgeon practice of dumping chip on a heap will not hack it. My attempt at compliant chip has meant recording on each IBC full of chip date when chipped. Source of chip,Volume of chip in M3. How many miles from the farm was the source. Moisture content on arrival. Then when its sold MC on Sale, Volume of sale, where its sold to, Delivery mileage.

Whether the information is sufficient to comply with my BSL registration I will only find out after we have been audited.

I hope the big boys will stick with large certified forests which will allow small fry like myself to carve a niche market.

If tree surgeons are prepared to put in the effort to comply with the red tape they will have a very valuable product. Unfortunately current tree surgeon practice of dumping chip on a heap will not hack it. My attempt at compliant chip has meant recording on each IBC full of chip date when chipped. Source of chip,Volume of chip in M3. How many miles from the farm was the source. Moisture content on arrival. Then when its sold MC on Sale, Volume of sale, where its sold to, Delivery mileage.

Whether the information is sufficient to comply with my BSL registration I will only find out after we have been audited.

I hope the big boys will stick with large certified forests which will allow small fry like myself to carve a niche market.

Sounds like a plan...

We joined an organisation called NISP: national industrial symbiosis programme. They have helped our organisation save ££££s by providing waste/recycling solutions for our charitable ARB/landscaping/furniture businesses. NISP was a government funded project to turn waste streams into resources. It's now been taken over privately by International Synergies. (Government funding ended, as it does). PM me if you want me to make an introduction for you.

Thanks,

Timon

Really an artalk collective should start an effective independant biomass operation like a co-op. With fair deals and expectations. Hire in the haulage its not worth the hassle at least to start with.

Mega dependent biomass companies would stand a chance the knowledge and range of contacts on here, as long as the attitudes of everyone involved was not greedy and fair minded.

Forgive my ignorance on this subject.

But, who sets the price on wood chip? We generate 1 or 2 mog loads a day plus a tranny or 2 of logs.

We tip free at a local chip site where they run tracked 360s and a large trommel to sieve the chip into artic trailers... It must cost them a fair bit to keep that operation going compared to what they get for their chip.

We looked into getting a biomass boiler for one of our bigger houses

thinking we'd save loads but it wasn't practical.... We were also told that wood fuel pellets (presumably pressed from virgin wood chip) retailed around £240+vat per ton

Someone's obviously making money..... But who ??!

Thanks,

Timon

yea......right,

you bring in fresh chip at 60% moisture.........they sell pellets at 5%, where has the water gone. and at what cost to whome.