Chipper Course

I agree with some of the posts in the thread so far (and disagree with some others). Remember, becoming an assessor is a time, money and effort consuming thing, if your not going to earn out of it, why bother jumping through all the hoops in the first place?.

As to whether Brushwood Chipper training is necessary...I'm a Chipper assessor but I spend 90 per cent of my time on the tools as a freelance climber. I see chipper operators putting their feet and hands into the hopper all the time, I've even seen people working on running machines!.....:thumbdown:

if training wasn't necessary, we wouldn't have to do it!.

There seems to be a 'Trainer/Assessor bashing' element on here, I don't see what they're beef is, we all have to reach some sort of standard don't we?. I take pride in my work, I do my best on every job I undertake (as I'm sure most people do on here), The training side of things is no different, passing on experience to new people coming in the trade is a rewarding aspect of arboriculture, so don't blindly knock these blokes for doing it guys!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with some of the posts in the thread so far (and disagree with some others). Remember, becoming an assessor is a time, money and effort consuming thing, if your not going to earn out of it, why bother jumping through all the hoops in the first place?.

As to whether Brushwood Chipper training is necessary...I'm a Chipper assessor but I spend 90 per cent of my time on the tools as a freelance climber. I see chipper operators putting their feet and hands into the hopper all the time, I've even seen people working on running machines!.....:thumbdown:

if training wasn't necessary, we wouldn't have to do it!.

There seems to be a 'Trainer/Assessor bashing' element on here, I don't see what they're beef is, we all have to reach some sort of standard don't we?. I take pride in my work, I do my best on every job I undertake (as I'm sure most people do on here), The training side of things is no different, passing on experience to new people coming in the trade is a rewarding aspect of arboriculture, so don't blindly knock these blokes for doing it guys!

Yep, whole heartedly agree with all of that... I'm not getting on at trainers or assessors, I'm simply saying the whole system is wrong, IMO.

Like I said before, in an ideal world I would book a trainer and then book an assessor and that would be job done, but as things are there are 5 parties involved with the training and assessment side of a course which IMO is way too many.

NPTC/LANTRA, Assessment Centre, Assessor, Training Provider, Trainer

The reason the courses and assessments are expensive is because everyone above needs thier cut.

after reading all of the posts on here about chipper training i feel that there is almos an arrogance about training , traners and tranises , i saw first hand what can happen to a person that trys to kick brush/timber through a chipper - the lad lost his leg , all of the muscle, flesh, tendons etc were stripped by the feed rolers as he had his hands and other leg trying to pull himself back out . i dont know how many times i see people sitting on the hopper while the machine is still running . also is it not a good idea to teach people that know nothing about chippers why they should not feed rakings through the chipper or why they should trim off the ends of branches that are covered in soil or have bits of tarmac stuck to the end where the branch has it the floor but end first ??? in the end it will save all of us chipper owners alot of time and money !!!

after reading all of the posts on here about chipper training i feel that there is almos an arrogance about training , traners and tranises , i saw first hand what can happen to a person that trys to kick brush/timber through a chipper - the lad lost his leg , all of the muscle, flesh, tendons etc were stripped by the feed rolers as he had his hands and other leg trying to pull himself back out . i dont know how many times i see people sitting on the hopper while the machine is still running . also is it not a good idea to teach people that know nothing about chippers why they should not feed rakings through the chipper or why they should trim off the ends of branches that are covered in soil or have bits of tarmac stuck to the end where the branch has it the floor but end first ??? in the end it will save all of us chipper owners alot of time and money !!!

The one thing that really scares me is watching people feeding small logs or small sticks through the chipper where they have to reach right inside the hopper to get the rollers to purchase... :scared1:

The one thing that really scares me is watching people feeding small logs or small sticks through the chipper where they have to reach right inside the hopper to get the rollers to purchase... :scared1:

what we need are more dragons in the world:001_cool:in the good old days all the local idiots would all go and try and slay dragons, they never returned so got wiped out of the gene pool, simples..but unfortunately the caves are tika taped off, signs are erected and path ways closed..all the idiots are forced to do courses and know if they dont feel like walking up big hills they can lie in bed and pull a sicky:thumbdown:unfortunately accidents do happen, but some fok just dont have a sense of danger..if a head goes into a hopper of my chipper then they get hit with a branch, if the push things in with a raised leg, they get hit with a branch..a nice whippy sycamore just below the helmet above the neck, or whatever comes closest to hand:mad1:no second chances, if i see them about to, then they are pulled aside and warned, if they do it again then off the machine, even if they are tempted, but usually folk try and push through things that will never go through..hence why i just have one member of staff now that knows full well the dangers and wouldnt be so stupid

Edited by Stephen Blair

what we need are more dragons in the world:001_cool:in the good old days all the local idiots would all go and try and slay dragons, they never returned so got wiped out of the gene pool, simples..but unfortunately the caves are tika taped off, signs are erected and path ways closed..all the idiots are forced to do courses and know if they dont feel like walking up big hills they can lie in bed and pull a sicky:thumbdown:unfortunately accidents do happen, but some fok just dont have a sense of danger..if a head goes into a hopper of my chipper then they get hit with a branch, if the push things in with a raised leg, they get hit with a branch..a nice whippy sycamore just below the helmet above the neck, or whatever comes closest to hand:mad1:

The trainer on my first saw course did that to me every time I didnt have my visor down whilst snedding out or if I didnt have my thumb under the handle of the saw.....two bad habits I carry to this day.. :blushing:

i dont get the visor thing, i couldnt work with out it, once i never had a helmet on chipping in the yard and ended up with concusion!the thumb thing is very common but a thing i have never done, its what hold onto the saw...oh and mat try not to hang over the saw either, keep it on your side, if you get kick back the you stand a better chance of not cutting your head off:ohmy:you will stick pics up on facebook, lamb to the slaughter:001_tongue:

i dont get the visor thing, i couldnt work with out it, once i never had a helmet on chipping in the yard and ended up with concusion!the thumb thing is very common but a thing i have never done, its what hold onto the saw...oh and mat try not to hang over the saw either, keep it on your side, if you get kick back the you stand a better chance of not cutting your head off:ohmy:you will stick pics up on facebook, lamb to the slaughter:001_tongue:

The visor thing is a pain.... just hate working with a visor and always have done.. I do keep it down if i'm felling or when up a tree but always lift it for some reason when crosscutting or snedding, keep trying to break the habit but always lift the visor for some reason.

The thumb thing, well yep that one is very common....

As for hanging over the saw, I take it you mean standing in line with the chain? Never heard of this one before or really thought about it but you have a good point about kickback etc..

just glue your visor down then mat, force your self...as for kick back and standing with the saw down the side and never infront of you, that was the first thing we were taught many moons ago on the nptc, i would of thought that would of still been pretty high up there..please tell me you use your chain break like a chain break addict and go through one about every 3 weeks, i know i do.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmi love a chain break

just glue your visor down then mat, force your self...as for kick back and standing with the saw down the side and never infront of you, that was the first thing we were taught many moons ago on the nptc, i would of thought that would of still been pretty high up there..please tell me you use your chain break like a chain break addict and go through one about every 3 weeks, i know i do.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmi love a chain break

My pet hate with the boys is hearing that all-too-common high revving saw and then BANG on the chainbrake... I always let the saw rev down first before putting the brake on..drives me mental.

Never been tought anything about not standing directly in line with the chain...but does make alot of sense.