finders fee ettiquette

DWestbrook

I don't get you. Where does the backhander come in?

Someone phoned me about a job that I could sort out, in return I gave him a few quid (as a thank you), this got me a good contract.

If he puts that £80 quid through his books is up to him. I'm as straight as a dye.

Of course it's a backhander, you want him to give you more work so you pay him off

He may well be know recommending you because he knows he will get a little brown envelope out of, regardless of wether your the best person for the job

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi eggs as we all no what's a £100 out of a £1k work mate it all like this now it all about helping each other out I had one mate go and price a job for a young lady and she said to mate no money in hand but I will see you ok make what you like out of that thanks Jon

He could be waiting behind the milk man, coalman, plumber all scratching :biggrin:

Howabout if i am on a referred job which on the site of the gardeners customer,

and whilst on this job a neighbour approaches me and asks for a quote for works.

Should there be recognition in kind that i am on the garden contractors patch, by means of cash gesture?

Hypothetical but likely....I know this is a consideration in building trades.:confused1:

and whilst on this job a neighbour approaches me and asks for a quote for works.

Should there be recognition in kind that i am on the garden contractors patch, by means of cash gesture?

Hypothetical but likely....I know this is a consideration in building trades.:confused1:

Only if you were doing gardening.

You are doing work he can't, by doing a good job makes him look good as well boosting his rep'. Do you get 10% for that?

It's up to you wether you give someone cash, a slab of beer, recommendations, or just a thank you and boost their rep'. There's no right or wrong just don't mug yourself.:thumbup1:

I would carry on with this contact and customer with the current status. Make sure you have a good customer base and avoid this sort of set up in the future. £100 on a £1000 job with £700 profit is fine but if you make £300 out the job you are working for two people. Once you are too busy to do the work you can ease the gardener in to your terms not his.