What's so hard using a lanyard?!?!

mikedrums69

Pretty much as the title says.

I'm not really one to judge other peoples way of climbing. As let's face it there's always a better climber out there.

But seriously what is it with all these videos on YouTube where you see/hear young men/women not using a second point of attachment (I.e lanyard) when operating the saw. It's not hard and doesn't take up time to lanyard in before you make cut(s). These videos ain't even from MR and mrs Joe blogs either, there from what looks to be professionals with all the kit.

Before I hear it all I fully we'll know there's some situations where it's gonna be no point/use using it. Like out on a long skinny limb with nothing around. Even though you could argue you should use that said limb.

I'm on about piss easy situations where you should and if a situation were to happen you lanyard would stop you from crashing down to the ground.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I guess it's just laziness, much like operating one a chainsaw one handed. A lanyard should improve your work position and make life easier. Admittedly I have forgotten it occasionally but never intentionally cut without it, even with a silky, facing the opposite direction to my rope! Easy to cut your rope/bridge trying to put your silky away.

I was glad when I had mine on after cutting and holding on the end of Liquidambar branch - the small branch I was stood on snapped, stopped me from taking a massive swing.

I guess alot of it is who you learn from and who you work with. If they have a relaxed approach to safety, then you probably will end up with the same attitude?

I love my Zillon lanyard and 2 point every time I cut....it takes seconds to set....anywhere....gives a rock steady work position......I like good work position...in fact its what really got me excited about tree work...the fact that we use equiptment that allows us to lock into a safe position and enables us to safely use a chainsaw up a tree!!! Without fear of movement, slip or swing.That's my opinion on the matter.

1415750835516.jpg.12d243520d05917fd055556cdd6845f6.jpg

When I trained I was discouraged from using a second anchor and it's kinda stuck, this was at merrist wood about 20 yrs ago.

I do use one now but not as often as I should and it's the other end of my rope not a lanyard.

Not a good thing but I have to bite my tongue sometimes watching the young uns strop in every cut they make thinking to myself "I'd have stripped that out by now and be on the way down".

Pretty much as the title says.

I'm not really one to judge other peoples way of climbing. As let's face it there's always a better climber out there.

But seriously what is it with all these videos on YouTube where you see/hear young men/women not using a second point of attachment (I.e lanyard) when operating the saw. It's not hard and doesn't take up time to lanyard in before you make cut(s). These videos ain't even from MR and mrs Joe blogs either, there from what looks to be professionals with all the kit.

Before I hear it all I fully we'll know there's some situations where it's gonna be no point/use using it. Like out on a long skinny limb with nothing around. Even though you could argue you should use that said limb.

I'm on about piss easy situations where you should and if a situation were to happen you lanyard would stop you from crashing down to the ground.

Why do you care so much about what others are doing???????:confused1:

Not a good thing but I have to bite my tongue sometimes watching the young uns strop in every cut they make thinking to myself "I'd have stripped that out by now and be on the way down".

Dont disagree with that. but i was self taught by watching guys like you. if i strop in its normally in a position where i can reach more than one cut