Oil choice for high mileage 200tdi?

Suffolk-Matt

Financially, how do you view it. For me, engine durability is the utmost priority irrespective of initial outlay - it saves £ in the long term. But I agree that more frequent changes of "general oil" is a legitimate option; not as environmentally sound though; unless you heat your workshop in a used oil burner or recycle the UO some other way. I'd sooner spec an SHPD Mineral such as URSA to semi-syn. Meaningless phrase anyway; comma oils are "fully synthetic"; and yet <20% of the product is such; marketing rubbish :001_rolleyes: and still an acceptable OEM approved product.

Have you noticed the phrase "Partly Synthetic" creeping into the market place. Cracks me up, what the hell is the point of that. It could be 5% synthetic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'flushed' an engine once, never again. There was only the gunge holding it together and when that went...

Semi synthetic, 10/40 with regular oil and filter changes. Good oil is worth the extra money.

And I have been converted to the addition of micro-oil, namely ZX1. Domestic Cars and ZX1 is where it's at. I ride a Triumph bike and the gearbox used to get hot and sticky. Added this, did about 50 miles (going some) and the difference was amazing. Look at it as a friction eliminator. Buy it direct.

Additives in oil - a big NO NO.

All you need is this:

RED LINE High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil 15w-40 Diesel

Nothing better on planet earth; the only poly-ol ester. ester Motul would probably follow, followed by AMS which is PAO.

It's all about maintaining MOFT.

Tempting stuff if its that good- but it'd cost £150 per oil change every six months? compared to the standard havoline stuff I use which costs about £40 per change. If it really is that good I guess the extra £100 would work out in favour.

Have you noticed the phrase "Partly Synthetic" creeping into the market place. Cracks me up, what the hell is the point of that. It could be 5% synthetic

oh yeah. lol

Some say thicker because it 'stays there' and others say a thinner oil because it gets there faster. Both work out.

Thicker oil at what temperature? Is viscocity maintained by polymeric thickeners? Thinner oil for faster lubrication at startup? In the flippin freezin maybe but it's more to do with the stupid idea that less visc = less friction = more mpg which is BS and the reality is that wear increases and the stupid little oil galleries in modern alloy blocks require skinny oil.

Tempting stuff if its that good- but it'd cost £150 per oil change every six months? compared to the standard havoline stuff I use which costs about £40 per change. If it really is that good I guess the extra £100 would work out in favour.

Why every six months? I ran a vehicle to over 1 million miles (PSA XUD9A) on RL15W40, no wear at that point! Went and wrote it off!

oh yeah. lol

Thicker oil at what temperature? Is viscocity maintained by polymeric thickeners? Thinner oil for faster lubrication at startup? In the flippin freezin maybe but it's more to do with the stupid idea that less visc = less friction = more mpg which is BS and the reality is that wear increases and the stupid little oil galleries in modern alloy blocks require skinny oil.

Why every six months? I ran a vehicle to over 1 million miles (PSA XUD9A) on RL15W40, no wear at that point! Went and wrote it off!

Cos after 6 months iv done about 5k miles so reckon its about time for a change for a 300tdi doing a lot of heavy towing?

1 million miles- wow that must be a record for a small engine.

Cos after 6 months iv done about 5k miles so reckon its about time for a change for a 300tdi doing a lot of heavy towing?

1 million miles- wow that must be a record for a small engine.

Quite the duty cycle for spec'ing a tough oil. RL would double that if you wanted to but you could get a £5 UOA to be double sure.

Yeah, Peugeot knew about it and it was in DC magazine back in 2000. No where near the guiness record boys tho...