What climbers helmet to buy?

Olly C

Hey all, hope its warm enough for you!

i realise this wil have already been discused at length but any feedback would be much appreciated.

I'm about to buy 2 climbers helmets, up until now have allways gone for the peakless Huskies. Been looking at the Stein and petzels.

cheers and enjoy the sunshine!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have beeu usin a petel for the last 3-4 years but last weekend at the arb show a bought a stein helmet with a smoked visor and a clear visor and this week have found it to be really comfortable , the air vents allow more air to circulate through the helmet and the plastic visors really keep out the saw dust . well worth the money , but from what i have been told neither are to be used on utility cutting according to a w.p.d authorising officer because of the vents in the helmet they provide a much lesser protection from electrical hazards . but i must say that is only what i have been told , other utility companies may be different

i bought a petzl a fair few months back, and you can adjust ii in all different ways to fit nicely ... mine still doesnt sit nicely on my head :mad1:

but tried a stein helmet at the trade fair, and it felt near to orgasmicly comfortable, i shall be looking for a excuse to buy one pretty soon. i wouldnt get the built on goggles, no one wants a power ranger cutting down their trees.:001_tongue:

The last i heard you wernt allowed to use peakless helmets or any other helmets intended to be used on the ground as they only have a chin strap clipped either side of helmet.

You now have to use a helmet that has a 3point harness(this may only be a recomendation) but you know what insurance companies are like if theres an accident.

I still prefer the Petzl but as Brian says use either the Husky set up or the Sordin ear muffs as they muffle more noise out.

jonesie sold me a set of green peltor ear defenders to go on my stein helmet and they are just as good as husky of sordin ear defenders imo

dave, does it say what decibel level the peltor ear defenders are rated for as i would be good to compare decibel readings?.

Hows Bramble?