Ford ranger, lack of power when towing and a screeching noise too?

normandylumberjack

Check the inlet and exhaust manifolds - I've had the exhaust manifold go twice on mine near the back of the engine and it screeches just like slipping belts. The power issue might just be that you are towing a really heavy chipper!...

This sounds like what's happening to my 2001 XLT turbo.belts are fine but when cold and I give it the revs it sounds like belts slipping. But having checked they are fine. Does what you say affect anything apart from may be a power issue:confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update,

The problem seemed to go away one the chipper was off, loads of power if a little squeaky in low gears.

Went to price a job this morning and had a sudden loud rattle from the engine bay, stopping when I rolled in nuetral/dipped the clutch.

Limped to the nearest garage, and it don't look good:thumbdown:

My knowledge of French mechanical terms is limited, but I did understand "grave" and "catastrophique" with lots of gesturing to the rocker cover and sign language replicatiing a camshaft? and pistons?

Only done 3k in her since January when I brought her, already had to pay a lot to fix the 4x4 system.:sneaky2: Fed up

Update,

The problem seemed to go away one the chipper was off, loads of power if a little squeaky in low gears.

Went to price a job this morning and had a sudden loud rattle from the engine bay, stopping when I rolled in nuetral/dipped the clutch.

My knowledge of French mechanical terms is limited, but I did understand "grave" and "catastrophique" with lots of gesturing to the rocker cover and sign language replicatiing a camshaft? and pistons?

Only done 3k in her since January when I brought her, already had to pay a lot to fix the 4x4 system.:sneaky2: Fed up

Bad news Normandy . Sorry to hear it mate .

Update,

That's a shame, sounds like you Got a wrong un. Have you any come back at all? Sounds expensive you mite be better off getting recon engine if yours has gone. Very unfortunate :thumbdown:

That's a shame, sounds like you Got a wrong un. Have you any come back at all? Sounds expensive you mite be better off getting recon engine if yours has gone. Very unfortunate :thumbdown:

HI SHIRES i hope RANGER not down on power mate take back 45lt of SOMERSET CIZZER :thumbup:thanks see you at the tuckers grave mate jon :thumbup:

HI SHIRES i hope RANGER not down on power mate take back 45lt of SOMERSET CIZZER :thumbup:thanks see you at the tuckers grave mate jon :thumbup:

Hi jon , no mate Mone fine,never clean it,never service it just water,diesal & oil jobs a good un and just keep driving it. See you and all soon get that £20 ready:thumbup: