Tree roots when fencing

s.varty

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm particular about post spacing looking right. But if it's a big root 3 inch diameter or more the root stays. The tree will outlive the fence.

If it's a domestic job with a tree near fence line . Measure out post spacing a from one end dig the holes near the tree. If not good measure from other end. Try again.

I was hoping there was a tool that fixed on to my disc cutter / chainsaw that was like a mini stump grinder with tungsten carbide tips.

That is basically what I meant by the special discs. I'm not trying to teach granny to suck eggs :) I've done a fair amount of fencing and often wished I had bought one of these when I've had to smash out roots by hand with a pole and chisel thingy. Worth digging a bigger hole to access the root with the disc IMO.

The disc I referred to cuts rather than grinds but it is VERY chunky so it cuts a lot of material out at one time and unlike chainsaw chains doesn't go blunt straight away.

Thanks, Timon

We put this up a few weeks ago, was 130 ish feet of fencing, previously 130 feet of crappy conifers :sneaky2:. ground all the sumps out but couldn't get all of them out as they were growing under the concrete holding the kerb edging in place! we used a wide chisel on the breaker to cut them out then pipe spade to get em out. it worked really good as long as the chisel has a decent edge on it.

WP_20140912_001.jpg.5d58b13794b1e107e5b294a94a3ba057.jpg

We put this up a few weeks ago, was 130 ish feet of fencing, previously 130 feet of crappy conifers :sneaky2:. ground all the sumps out but couldn't get all of them out as they were growing under the concrete holding the kerb edging in place! we used a wide chisel on the breaker to cut them out then pipe spade to get em out. it worked really good as long as the chisel has a decent edge on it.

Good job there mate:thumbup1:

Job from hell m8! Ground was solid, had to use breaker on every hole, took about 15 mins 2 men to dig 1 hole. Turned out good in the end

Customers sometimes ask me "how long will it take?" They look puzzled when I say I don't know it depends on the digging. 1 hole can take 5 mins ,the next could take half an hour.

I use an sds drill on hammer only with a sharpened flat chisel on a long home made extension. You can sharpen easily on site with grinder and it's nice and long and thin so gos down hole easy. Runs on genset and can be used to chain drill concrete:thumbup:

Sounds good, nice and slim as well:thumbup1: