hazards of working near a peat bog

Graham w

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have a job coming up where heavy machinery will be working on the edge of a peat bog.

Has anyone had a good or bad experience working near/in a peat bog? hints and tips are greatly appreciated , Thanks

We cleared a 30 acre site of trees and vegetation that was on a peat bog. The only reason we got away with it was because we were running on mat of mulched lop and top. The 20 ton excavator that followed was not so lucky, they spent a week with some pretty fancy recovery equipment getting him out.

Bob

Check your insurance to see if you are covered for debugging!I did a job for the wood ten mins into job tractor was six foot under .luckily there was a clay layer at six feet. Took two days with digger to free me.cost a grand.all because pick up which got stuck on a stump!!!! Got two tonnes of wood out and never went back.pity as there was good birch to be had.jake

Depending on the peat bog, I once did tree clearance on a 'floating' peat bog, 6 feet of peat on a 30m deep lake, my recommendation is find a way of spreading the weight as much as possible, ground mats, large, wide wheels with low pressure, and smaller loads!

Skyline or skid the trees off the boggy areas, dont go on the the bad areas without having a proper thick brash mat only acheived by a harvester and then felling the trees that are out of reach by the boom by chainsaw from both sides to get the brash from areas outside the reach of the machine, even after you have done this you can keep felling the trees and skidding them to side of the brash mat to further thicken your brash mat, you would have one hell of a brash mat with all the trees from a width of about 100 metres all in the same place, we do this method quite often.

If the site is as wet as you say it is then I would be looking at a spring time start when the days are longer and dryer than an autumn start, also with a skidder on site if the forwarder driver feels the ground is too soft to travel on after all the brash is in place after my above post, fasten the ropes off the skidder to give him a constant gentle pull to keep him moving.