Ms170 dead!

Richard 1234

Hi I have a very old ms170 I think!

Anyway oiler is dead and chain needs replacing and bar has seen better days. So it's time to replace. What should I get?

It's only for very occasional use. Taking low branches off felling very small tress(maximum 10-12 foot high) and taking out large overgrown shrubs!

The stihl lasted 10 plus years.

I want something that will go when I ask it to but it need not be special.

Many thanks in advance richard

If everything else is ok, a new oil pump, bar and chain aren't going to be much.

Oil pump less than £5 inc.

Bar 12" £24 inc., 14" £26.50inc.

Chain £13.20 inc.

Or do you really want a new saw?

Edited by TGB

If everything else is ok, a new oil pump, bar and chain aren't going to be much.

Oil pump less than £5 inc.

Bar 12" £24 inc., 14" £26.50inc.

Chain £13.20 inc.

Or do you really want a new saw?

Not really a new saw just thought that I would be looking at about a ton and not willing to pay that much to repair.

So maybe will look into it further thanks for that.

Not really a new saw just thought that I would be looking at about a ton and not willing to pay that much to repair.

So maybe will look into it further thanks for that.

Hi,

A new saw for £100? not worth buying IMO.

Better to get the 170 repaired & save up for something decent.

N

eBay it as spares or repairs, then go and buy a brand new one with the proceeds and still have some change left. That series of saws do make stupid money on there.

You can buy a new MS170 for under £170, what is "stupid money" that will buy a new saw and leave change :lol: Check it over to see if the oil line, pump or filter is blocked. Bar and chain are standard running costs for a saw anyway so shouldn't be a factor. You could do what you are looking at with a bow saw or axe.

You can buy a new MS170 for under £170, what is "stupid money" that will buy a new saw and leave change :lol: Check it over to see if the oil line, pump or filter is blocked. Bar and chain are standard running costs for a saw anyway so shouldn't be a factor. You could do what you are looking at with a bow saw or axe.

6 weeks ago i sold a MS170 that was locked up solid (big end had gone) for £184 spares or repairs and the new owner left positive feedback saying he was very happy with his purchase. You can pop into jonsies and pick up a brand spanking new Ms170 for £135 plus vat.