harvest drivers

monster bert

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the answer then?

I don't know the answer. What I do know is when I used to be on a dig-up gang if we left to much mud/spoil on the road the LA would be all over us like a rash. Doesn't seem to be the same for farmers? I drive past a Sugar beet pad that is being used ATM, it's a mud-bath!.......Surely it can't be to much trouble to have a loading bucket or a couple of lads on shovels to have a tidy up.

I don't know the answer. What I do know is when I used to be on a dig-up gang if we left to much mud/spoil on the road the LA would be all over us like a rash. Doesn't seem to be the same for farmers? I drive past a Sugar beet pad that is being used ATM, it's a mud-bath!.......Surely it can't be to much trouble to have a loading bucket or a couple of lads on shovels to have a tidy up.

Farmers seem to be a law unto their own, do as they likeys really, what other industry can employ 17 year olds to drive 24 ton machines on the road running on red diesel and no mot or road tax, and get paid by the government to not grow any crops?. Clearing the road of mud sometimes isn't fesable, the field could well be 20 odd miles away from the farm, some of our fields (who I harvest for) are 35 miles from the farm.

Why do first thinning have to be brashed up to 6' high? Something the head cant do???

Non brashed trees means the head cant actually get to the tree. Poorly brashed trees normally means that the measuring wheel in the head is going to take a pasting. They cost a fortune when they go wrong. Its cheaper to pay a brasher to go out in front of the machine to keep the harvester busy in clean timber than it is to battle with the head to get to the tree and break it.

I've seen good harvesting site and bad harvesting sites. Normally an 8 wheel machine on band tracks running on the brash matt should make too much mess. Poor quality hand cutters who use the saw as a measuring stick and put trees any which may normally make more mess.

Lads with shovels, mite not know what end to hold!

As said we get paid to get wood roadside and our rates are always on the lower side, meaning its go as quick as poss to make money. A tidy job is a slow job if higher rates are paid I'm sure majority drivers would be a lot cleaner with there brash and stumps. The answer is moan at the man paying the tonnage rates not the man trying to earn a living....

britain is the only place where the trees are brashed, its cause the operators are lazy ,the arms will pull the cutter head in tight, and run it through no problem

To be fair Scottish Spruce is very very different to Scandinavian Spruce. Branches are much bigger and its very fury.

As for stumps that is just lazyness, double/triple cutting is hard so just take it a bit higher till the bar fits. Although its the same with hand cutters i can get a head lower to the ground than some hand cutter i know. Like everything in forestry its site site-spec and operator dependent

To be fair Scottish Spruce is very very different to Scandinavian Spruce. Branches are much bigger and its very fury.

As for stumps that is just lazyness, double/triple cutting is hard so just take it a bit higher till the bar fits. Although its the same with hand cutters i can get a head lower to the ground than some hand cutter i know. Like everything in forestry its site site-spec and operator dependent

So its drivers and steering wheel attendents!!!:thumbup: