Level 6 Diploma In Arboriculture (ABC) Industry Rejection???

hokum93

I did my tech cert (the old one) a few years back, and I was also looking at moving forward on to the L6, mainly because it was only 2yr and cheaper then a degree but if the qualification doesn't carry much weight within the industry, think I will wait for the outcome on this one.

Has one else compared this to the online degrees?

I wouldn't agree with this statement.

Whilst there may be legitimate concerns, based on the nos. of credits (as described above), from the ICF for professional membership I strongly believe the ABC Level 6 Dip. Arb carries significant 'weight' within the industry and employers and other professionals recognise its value, as indeed do those who have studied it.

Personally, if I had the time, I would seriously consider it (congrats to those who have done so, I admire your commitment, self-discipline and diligence.)

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that I didn't like it I just wasn't a fan of the re-sub format. Working long hours (50+ easy) and trying to balance a family life while studying is difficult enough. Trying all that but then having to resubmit stuff while trying to get the new set of work done in the short time allocated inevitably puts you behind which is frustrating and unnecessary IMHO.The lecturers were sometimes asked what they want and the answer would be "have a crack if its wrong you can re-sub it". :sneaky2::confused1: I DON'T HAVE TIME TO RE-SUB. That layout leaves you playing catch up from day 1. Most people didn't mind the re-sub thing but I found the ones who didn't mind it usually didn't work the hours I did. The course is excellent though and really does educate to an excellent standard. Just my experience but I'm sure many will disagree. :thumbup:

I see what you are saying about the amount of work but no pain no gain in my view. My son was born 3 months into my first year which made it a real challenge but if you get your head down you can do it. I still finished mine in two years. The key to completing this course within two years is simply stop watching the TV and work every night through the work. I rarely did anything on it at the weekend but i worked damn hard on the week nights.

The re-subs are the strengh of this course over anything else in my view as i had to submit my 5837 work 3 times. The first time i was probably about 75% there which in academic terms would be enough for a pass. With the L6 its not. If not for the re-subs i would now be writing 5837 impact assesments which were 75% correct but missed some key issues. As it is i got the chance to improve my learning and now write the documents to a better standard. Well worth the effort in my view. If you can't complete in 2 years then dont stress would be my view, you have another 3 after that to complete all the work.

I don't see the big panic about this either. ICF are not saying you can't go for chartered status just that you have to make up the points in other areas. This is a professional qualification not an academic so the point is it builds and gets built on by experience so this seems reasonable enough. I have already spoken with Dave about this and he does not beleive it will stop us becoming chartered. I'm already working toward mine and this course gave me the confidence to do that.

Another point worth considering is that ICF do not set the levels for education, QCF do and they say its level 6. If you applied for a job abroad for instance the employer would look at what level the qualification is not what ICF say. If you look at job adverts over here also they say must have a degree or equivalent, not must score 4 points for the MICFor scheme. Just a thought.

Sorry mate i seemd to have strayed of your post here a little. i wouldn't started panicing just yet. Anyone who has complted this qualification will know exactly how good it is and that will filter through in time.

Good luck to anyone who is doing this course and stick at it the rewards are well worth it.

Cheers,

Cheers,

From what I understand you Treelife lads had things good in comparrison to us lot at Moreton Morrell. At least you had scenarios set and regular marking with model answers to meet. I had to physically go out to find about 95% of my scenarios as none were set in class and no deadlines were set to submit work by. I had to complete each unit and hand the lot in together for marking. It could take 6 weeks to get marked work back but I was grateful that I didn't have much to correct. When I had finished all learning outcomes MM applied for my diploma but I had to wait 9 months because no EV had taken place during the 2 years of my study. I am the only student evwr to gain the qualification from MM and would advise any potential students to go to Treelife. MM is POOR, POOR, POOR!!!

From what I understand you Treelife lads had things good in comparrison to us lot at Moreton Morrell. At least you had scenarios set and regular marking with model answers to meet. I had to physically go out to find about 95% of my scenarios as none were set in class and no deadlines were set to submit work by. I had to complete each unit and hand the lot in together for marking. It could take 6 weeks to get marked work back but I was grateful that I didn't have much to correct. When I had finished all learning outcomes MM applied for my diploma but I had to wait 9 months because no EV had taken place during the 2 years of my study. I am the only student evwr to gain the qualification from MM and would advise any potential students to go to Treelife. MM is POOR, POOR, POOR!!!

Fair play to you mate for dragging your ass through the course with those conditions. That just isn't the way it is meant to be taught but I've heard similar stories before. Go to treelife, the teaching is top class.

Its not that I didn't like it I just wasn't a fan of the re-sub format. Working long hours (50+ easy) and trying to balance a family life while studying is difficult enough. Trying all that but then having to resubmit stuff while trying to get the new set of work done in the short time allocated inevitably puts you behind which is frustrating and unnecessary IMHO.The lecturers were sometimes asked what they want and the answer would be "have a crack if its wrong you can re-sub it". :sneaky2::confused1: I DON'T HAVE TIME TO RE-SUB. That layout leaves you playing catch up from day 1. Most people didn't mind the re-sub thing but I found the ones who didn't mind it usually didn't work the hours I did. The course is excellent though and really does educate to an excellent standard. Just my experience but I'm sure many will disagree. :thumbup:

I see your point. I'm tending to include too much which is time consuming, but reduces the need to resub.

I wouldn't agree with this statement.

Whilst there may be legitimate concerns, based on the nos. of credits (as described above), from the ICF for professional membership I strongly believe the ABC Level 6 Dip. Arb carries significant 'weight' within the industry and employers and other professionals recognise its value, as indeed do those who have studied it.

Personally, if I had the time, I would seriously consider it (congrats to those who have done so, I admire your commitment, self-discipline and diligence.)

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul

thanks Paul,

think your correct on what your saying, and I will probably go down the L6 route myself, just want to make sure its the qualification to go for.

So am right I right in thinking that the course runs over 2years, but you have another 3 years to submit all your work?

many thanks

simon

Mate, don't do it. Take a punt and re-sub, its much easier. I over researched in the first year then changed my approach in the second. Year 2 was much less stressful.

I found getting it first off was easier. Like I said in my other post I just did not have the time after an 11 - 13 hour day to sit and re-sub stuff.

As for the question on how many finished, I know a few that are still plugging away.