50-60cc Chainsaw Comparison

Frett

Martin trying his ported 357xp on my 560 .... Martins 357 has a popup piston as well I think?! Really they should be on same pitch and bars as martin runs 3/25 and has a longer bar whilst I'm running 3/8's so for a fair comparison or even better the same bar and chain... And if he had told me what he was doing I would of sharpened my saw.

If any body in the north east has a 6100 and wants to compare them I would be really interested.

Not a great comparison with different sized bars and chain pitch. The story of my 6100 is a long and painful one which I will post once resolved, it looks like its going to have a happy ending though and then we can do a comparison. I doubt it will match the ported 357 but you never know.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a great comparison with different sized bars and chain pitch. The story of my 6100 is a long and painful one which I will post once resolved, it looks like its going to have a happy ending though and then we can do a comparison. I doubt it will match the ported 357 but you never know.

Exactly Tom with any saw comparison I want to see it with a bar and chain swap other wise it's bull really plus there's a few other factors as a regular user may push the saw where he knows the power band is peak and some one who's not familiar with it wont.... That was the only video I am aware of with a ported 560 vs 560 so why I showed it I think there is no difference between the two and maybe the 357 on a smaller pitch chain equals that the 560 has a shorter bar with larger pitch.

Where did you get the dolly from mate, and how much ?

I originally bought a makita 6100 from an on line retailer which rhymes with " turd of shower" It was delivered fully assembled in its original box with the bar and chain sticking out of a slit cut in the box! There was no padding in the box, unsurprisingly the saw had been damaged. The fuel tank was split so I tried to get them to replace the saw but they were quite stroppy and didn't want to do anything about it at first. They did agree to repair the saw, so I eventually got them to collect it ( something they were reluctant to do). I had my reservations about their repair service but had been assured that it would be done by an "expert" . On its return the saw was un-useable, the vibrations were so bad that fingers would be tingling after just a minute or so. I was so busy that I didn't really get a chance to have a proper look at it but at the APF I mentioned the saw to the guys on the Makita stand and as soon as I looked at the saw they had on the stand I could see the problem with mine was a damaged AV mount. I had noticed that one of the AV mounts was different to the others but I had assumed that it was a different part and meant to look like that.

Since then Makita UK have been great and I have now been offered a brand new saw, so naturally I asked for an orange one... It should be personally delivered next week.

So I can say that Makita UK are a great company to deal with, but "turd of shower" will never get my business again.

i agree modern saws are meant to be fast, all iam saying is if you bury the 6100 into a big stick you can feel that this motor has plenty of low down grunt as well

i did'nt mention anything about cutting on torque band or 6500rpm that was another member

i agree modern saws are meant to be fast, all iam saying is if you bury the 6100 into a big stick you can feel that this motor has plenty of low down grunt as well

i did'nt mention anything about cutting on torque band or 6500rpm that was another member

I was pointing out that it's a very low rpm for the torque band, it wasn't aimed at you, I just couldn't be bothered to quote niko as well!

Who cuts on the torque band? Modern saws are meant to be fast! 6,500 rpm to reach max torque is almost as low as the old saws, but the clutches now engage and disengage at higher rpm

Right, if someone does, either the saw is too small for the task at hand, or something else is wrong. Cutting will be slow either way.

What is interesting is how the torque curve right below and over the max hp rpm is (to keep the rpm up), not what the max torque at low rpm is.

What does make me smile about the 'Dolmar is better than husqvarna' statement is:

Centrifugal air cleaning (jonsered patent)

Lower emissions - strato engine (zenoah patent)

Spring av (can't remember which husky owned company it's from)

Mpi technology (e-carb) (husky patent)

Easy start (Stihl elasto-start)

That's an awfully large amount of borrowed tech! It pretty much leaves the dogs and casings as their own