50-60cc Chainsaw Comparison

Frett

Hello, I've been studying the available models in this bracket over the last couple of weeks, and collected my findings into this;

50-60ccChainsawComparison_zps63155537.jpg

50-60ccPowertoweight-Costscoreranking_zpse78e82fc.jpg

Some notes

- The lower the number in the power to weight/power to weight vs cost score the better.

- All technical specifications take from the manufacturers web page where possible. Stihl didn't list the oil/fuel capacity for example, so I retrieved those from a sellers website.

- The Solo 651, Efco 156, and Echo CS-550 are listed as semi-pro saws by some sites, professional by most.

- The Efco 162 strays above the top boundary in terms of capacity, but in weight terms its right in the pack, so is included.

- I made this for myself, and I would want a saw with a heated handle, so I've included the heated handle option where possible. Since the heating system adds around 200g or so onto a saws weight, this slightly skews the power/weight ratio in favour of those with no heating systems.

- Obviously the Power to weight/Cost score will change depending on where the saw becomes available and unavailable at a given price, this is based on what I've been able to find and consider reliable. I found the Jonsered saws on various Norwegian, Latvian and German websites but couldn't tell if they had them in stock or would deliver to the UK

- This also doesn't take into account things like Auto-tune, X-Torq and the like, nor the build quality or the general 'feel' of the saw. Was just an exercise in cost, power to weight and market comparison.

If anyone wants the actual spreadsheets I made, just ask. Thought it was interesting if nothing else.

Cheers!

Edited by Frett

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it puts the efco on top? I would not mind trying one , had an oleo Mac which is the same brand and could not fault it on performance but hopeless getting spares.

Back to the 560 though,looks like if you went to fr Jones as you did with the other saws you would of saved £50 + :)

I seem to remember that Echo quote the weight of their saw inclusive of bar & chain. Whereas I know neither Husky nor Stihl do. I don't know about the others. If you're going to calc the kW to weight ratio, you might aswell include full tanks of fuel & bar oil, plus the weight of bar & chain as supplied, (or bar & chain as desired). Without the full setup, how can you truly state the kW to weight ratio.

As has been suggested, trying to compare weights of heated and non-heated handle saws by different manufacturers, is an exercise in pointlessness. If you really want heated handles. Just include those saws that have them.

Back to the drawing board.

Edited by TGB

On the efco saws:

I have had/fixed a few.

I find 5.5kg very hard to believe. They are old skool, solid saws.

The 62cc saw is a lowish rpm firewood grinder built for longevity, not comparable to pro forestry saws. The 56cc efco is ace.

:)