sugihara bars v husqvarna bars

forest tink

Next one will be Sugi Hara instead of Husky and that won't be long now. The Husky has done ok but if I had been cutting everyday, it would've lasted less than 6mths. Just in case you're wondering, I've cleaned it after each day's use, flipped the bar and greased its nose.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if you've got a husky a sugi or a Oragen bar is essental if you've got a stihl stick with stihl bars

i"m confused are you comparing a Sugi bar to an Oregon or Husky (rebadged Oregon)& rating a Stihl bar better than Sugi, although Stihl is better than Blount products, except perhaps the old original Windsor(non Blount) 3 Rivet Speedtip. but in the commercial usage we subject them to, the Sugi, or Tsumura bars out perform the Stihl bars (in both wear/lack of, & reliability )We can not source Cannon bars for a competitive price so I cannot personally pass a comment on them as regards performance, although I"m led to believe they compare very well with Sugi"s etc. I have may be read this wrong & you are saying use anything but a Husky bar on a Husky saw but stick with Stihl on a Stihl saw. I can assure you you will get better service from a Sugi or Tsumura on a Stihl saw.& in my part of the world there is not to much difference in price between Stihl & the Sugi"s etc.

i"m confused are you comparing a Sugi bar to an Oregon or Husky (rebadged Oregon)& rating a Stihl bar better than Sugi, although Stihl is better than Blount products, except perhaps the old original Windsor(non Blount) 3 Rivet Speedtip. but in the commercial usage we subject them to, the Sugi, or Tsumura bars out perform the Stihl bars (in both wear/lack of, & reliability )We can not source Cannon bars for a competitive price so I cannot personally pass a comment on them as regards performance, although I"m led to believe they compare very well with Sugi"s etc. I have may be read this wrong & you are saying use anything but a Husky bar on a Husky saw but stick with Stihl on a Stihl saw. I can assure you you will get better service from a Sugi or Tsumura on a Stihl saw.& in my part of the world there is not to much difference in price between Stihl & the Sugi"s etc.

No. I meant to say if you've got a husky saw an oregan bar or a sugi bar is a must. The oregan bars may come from the same factory but they last so much longer.

The stihl bars are one of the best laminated bars out there so if i owned a stihl I'd stick with a stihl bar

I would avoid the laminated sugi bar mine cracked and splintered off at the rails after 6 months use on my old 201

Sorry that has been your experience - but a lot of firewood processor boys have switched to the laminated Sugi bars and find they outlast the oregon bars by a long way.

If you feel it has failed prematurely then send it in and I'll have a look at it. If it's a fault it will be warrantied.

:001_smile:

Ref the debate what are the best chainsaw bars I think that it's always going to be a tricky and ongoing one... a few thoughts as below to add to the pot!

Husky bars - bear in mind pretty much all Husky bars that are under 24" long are made by Husky in their own factory. All bars that are 24" and over are re branded oregon bars (I have on pretty good authority). Not many people are fans of Husky bars or their after service from people I've spoken to....

Oregon bars - Oregon are pretty much the benchmark of the industry and the bars most compared to. They are average really - average price, average looking, average lasting. One major good point of them is the range across all manufacturers and good distribution - whatever the saw you will usually find an oregon bar to fit!

Cannon bars (main importer Dougie Bennett Tavistock chainsaws The UK home of Cannon™ Bar Chainsaw bars) are very good robust quality and very tough. They are certainly the most expensive. I don't think they are as hard wearing as the Sugi bars on the rails in that I have had around x9 cannon and still need regularly dressing where the Sugi bars don't so much. They are also a lot heavier than the light type Sugis. (I'm going to be majorly biased on comparing cannon to Sugi though aren't I!:001_smile:)

They have yet to make a small R7 carving nose for the MS150 C-E (please don't compare the Sugi to the Samarai R6 bars I got where quite a few failed at the nose prematurely :sneaky2:. They are both made in Japan but totally different companies).

But - the exception to this is the Cannon carving bars - they are tougher on the nose and are slightly thicker and heavier built - also they are 20% heavier than equivalent Sugi.

Stihl bars are good quality through their range on the whole if not that glamorous. Their sealed nose bearing is unique to them and works well although they can still fail prematurely.

Sugihara bars (exclusive importer Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories)- Huge range, good looking, long lasting and willing to try new ideas they've been making bars in their factory in Japan for 50 years. I'd say the reason not seen so much in Europe is that they have no distribution network - but that is set to change as now Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories has a good workable range which will only be increased in Stihl and Husky and also the other manufacturers... trouble is a long long long lead time on orders and no account terms. FR Jones are the only other supplier to sell them (and are selling a lot of them!) - not much interest from other suppliers...

I'd say 35% of all Sugi sales are into Europe with largest order of x20 bars...

Sugihara bars seem to like their noses regularly greased - at least the few failures I've had back were as dry as a bone - and that's what the factory have told me... don't want to get into the 'grease the nose sprocket or not' debate but doing it correctly every 6 hours use should mean no problems - if there are let me know!

Weak area of Sugihara (and Tsumura) is they don't make very long bars - many ask why is there a 46" Sugihara bar - why not 48"? This is because 46" is the longest they can currently make - they have never been asked to make longer than 42" in the past!

Tsumura bars (no current importer) - they are another Japanese bar manufacturer - I've thought about bringing some in but not convinced they are better than the Sugi bars. Plenty of info in the catelogue here http://www.suehiroseiko.jp/download/catalogue_en.pdf

GB bars (exclusive importer Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories) - GB (Griffiths and Beerens) are an Australian bar manufacturer with a lot of experience and good reputation. To cut a long story short the company went through some turbulent times and now is run and directed by Tom Bereens. 6/7 years ago (have not got exact date) Tom built his own factory out in China and started making guidebars out there. I think there were a couple of years of finding his feet but he is now producing good quality bars again - mainly for harvesters. In fact I've now started bringing these in again mainly for the long bars ie. 56" and 64" ideal for Alaskan 48" and 56". Cost £225+vat and £265+vat respectively... also 50",60",72" and 87" double ended bars for x2 chainsaw run mills - the idea is to run x2 different chainsaws and save yourself getting an 880 or 3120!

GB are also very open to making other useful bits and pieces such as bar adapters for multi mount bars...

Also GB used to make all the sought after lo pro bars that Logosol sold - I've got sample of these now to see what people think in 20",25",36" and 42" - £40+vat,£50+vat,£72+vat,£84+vat respectively... not got them on the website yet as am away and had no time to test myself but a few have gone out...

If the GB bars work out well then I'll be increasing the range of them.

Something to chew on!

:biggrin:

Ref the debate what are the best chainsaw bars I think that it's always going to be a tricky and ongoing one... a few thoughts as below to add to the pot!

Husky bars - bear in mind pretty much all Husky bars that are under 24" long are made by Husky in their own factory. All bars that are 24" and over are re branded oregon bars (I have on pretty good authority). Not many people are fans of Husky bars or their after service from people I've spoken to....

Oregon bars - Oregon are pretty much the benchmark of the industry and the bars most compared to. They are average really - average price, average looking, average lasting. One major good point of them is the range across all manufacturers and good distribution - whatever the saw you will usually find an oregon bar to fit!

Cannon bars (main importer Dougie Bennett Tavistock chainsaws The UK home of Cannon™ Bar Chainsaw bars) are very good robust quality and very tough. They are certainly the most expensive. I don't think they are as hard wearing as the Sugi bars on the rails in that I have had around x9 cannon and still need regularly dressing where the Sugi bars don't so much. They are also a lot heavier than the light type Sugis. (I'm going to be majorly biased on comparing cannon to Sugi though aren't I!:001_smile:)

They have yet to make a small R7 carving nose for the MS150 C-E (please don't compare the Sugi to the Samarai R6 bars I got where quite a few failed at the nose prematurely :sneaky2:. They are both made in Japan but totally different companies).

But - the exception to this is the Cannon carving bars - they are tougher on the nose and are slightly thicker and heavier built - also they are 20% heavier than equivalent Sugi.

Stihl bars are good quality through their range on the whole if not that glamorous. Their sealed nose bearing is unique to them and works well although they can still fail prematurely.

Sugihara bars (exclusive importer Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories)- Huge range, good looking, long lasting and willing to try new ideas they've been making bars in their factory in Japan for 50 years. I'd say the reason not seen so much in Europe is that they have no distribution network - but that is set to change as now Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories has a good workable range which will only be increased in Stihl and Husky and also the other manufacturers... trouble is a long long long lead time on orders and no account terms. FR Jones are the only other supplier to sell them (and are selling a lot of them!) - not much interest from other suppliers...

I'd say 35% of all Sugi sales are into Europe with largest order of x20 bars...

Sugihara bars seem to like their noses regularly greased - at least the few failures I've had back were as dry as a bone - and that's what the factory have told me... don't want to get into the 'grease the nose sprocket or not' debate but doing it correctly every 6 hours use should mean no problems - if there are let me know!

Weak area of Sugihara (and Tsumura) is they don't make very long bars - many ask why is there a 46" Sugihara bar - why not 48"? This is because 46" is the longest they can currently make - they have never been asked to make longer than 42" in the past!

Tsumura bars (no current importer) - they are another Japanese bar manufacturer - I've thought about bringing some in but not convinced they are better than the Sugi bars. Plenty of info in the catelogue here http://www.suehiroseiko.jp/download/catalogue_en.pdf

GB bars (exclusive importer Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories) - GB (Griffiths and Beerens) are an Australian bar manufacturer with a lot of experience and good reputation. To cut a long story short the company went through some turbulent times and now is run and directed by Tom Bereens. 6/7 years ago (have not got exact date) Tom built his own factory out in China and started making guidebars out there. I think there were a couple of years of finding his feet but he is now producing good quality bars again - mainly for harvesters. In fact I've now started bringing these in again mainly for the long bars ie. 56" and 64" ideal for Alaskan 48" and 56". Cost £225+vat and £265+vat respectively... also 50",60",72" and 87" double ended bars for x2 chainsaw run mills - the idea is to run x2 different chainsaws and save yourself getting an 880 or 3120!

GB are also very open to making other useful bits and pieces such as bar adapters for multi mount bars...

Also GB used to make all the sought after lo pro bars that Logosol sold - I've got sample of these now to see what people think in 20",25",36" and 42" - £40+vat,£50+vat,£72+vat,£84+vat respectively... not got them on the website yet as am away and had no time to test myself but a few have gone out...

If the GB bars work out well then I'll be increasing the range of them.

Something to chew on!

:biggrin:

HI ROB how things mate i was told BUT can not name that your bars are better then STIHL ONES and this chap would NO thanks jon

Sorry that has been your experience - but a lot of firewood processor boys have switched to the laminated Sugi bars and find they outlast the oregon bars by a long way.

If you feel it has failed prematurely then send it in and I'll have a look at it. If it's a fault it will be warrantied.

:001_smile:

Thanks for the offer Rob but im not to fussed about the warranted work I've got my mighty husky 540 and it's awesome tech light bar ....... :blushing:

I'll send you a picture of the bar just in case it'll come in handy for references in the future though