Tesco going down what do you all think thanks

mendiplogs

meat and veg from an independant may cost 10% more but it taste 100% better. :thumbup:

HI STEVE there you go mate it like cheaper logs mate at xmas when a customer seat around there fire the cheaper ones may not burn :lol:owell it to late then on xmas day :thumbup1:to go and ring others log man help it called cheap dear thanks jon :thumbup:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bout time Tesco's got some karma the amount of small suppliers they have screwed over the years tieing farmers and growers into contracts to supply which are riddled with penalties and get out clauses weighted in favour of Tesco, not to mention thier habit of riding rough shod over communities by slapping up there stores where there is no want or need for them :sneaky2:

Bout time Tesco's got some karma the amount of small suppliers they have screwed over the years tieing farmers and growers into contracts to supply which are riddled with penalties and get out clauses weighted in favour of Tesco, not to mention thier habit of riding rough shod over communities by slapping up there stores where there is no want or need for them :sneaky2:

HI CS there you go mate your right thanks for your in put thanks jon :thumbup:

What really riles me about all our food outlets is that most products on the shelves contain palm oil from unsustainable sources. I read that China has the biggest demand for palm oil and has resulted in a major increase in clear felling of virgin forest. I think price is the prime motivator here, yet prices have increased year on year since the days we used other vegetable oils.

What really riles me about all our food outlets is that most products on the shelves contain palm oil from unsustainable sources. I read that China has the biggest demand for palm oil and has resulted in a major increase in clear felling of virgin forest. I think price is the prime motivator here, yet prices have increased year on year since the days we used other vegetable oils.

Profit is the main motivator, if we are happy to pay more they will simply make more profit:sneaky2:

They simply want to produce the goods for as little as they can and sell them for as much as they can.

I can't help thinking that the town councils have a part to play in this. If I want to shop on the high street in my local town, Totnes, I have to pay to park and then I'm on a time limit. If I can get parked at all. I can usually park out by the leech well but it's going to cost me and I have a half mile walk to the shops and back.

Or I can go to morrisons and park easily. I may pay £2 for my ticket but I get it back at the till.

The fact is that we get a Riverford veg box and an Eversfield meat box and we grow what we can but if I need butter in a hurry the whole system seems to drive me towards a big supermarket and makes it hard for me to go to a small family grocer.

Tesco can go hang though. After the way they blanked Hugh on the chicken thing, I have nothing but contempt for them. They thought they could dictate what people want and the chickens are coming home to roost. Metaphorically of course as your tesco chicken will have spent its short live in hell and won't even be able to roost, being a manufactured, freak animal.

yup, they still have about 25% market share apparently, but are used to a bigger share of the pie.

Modern economics is a strange beast which defies logic and common sense - it leads everybody to expect continual growth and yet we live in a finite world. Something has to give somewhere as growing populations cannot keep the numbers going up to a sufficient degree, so the squeeze goes on producers and suppliers.

Beyond that, modern accounting practices are twisted and turned to fiddle the figures to best effect. All governments need to crack down on this ............... um, silly me, of course they wont as the governments are some of the worst offenders at cooking the books :thumbdown:

All we can do is vote with our feet on this one and support the small local producers and shops. Unfortunately, for the most part people are either too lazy, too ignorant, too short term thinking, just too short of cash to pay the bit extra or in too much of a rush to make a significant difference.

meat and veg from an independant may cost 10% more but it taste 100% better. :thumbup:

Couldn't agree more, trouble is you,d be surprised just how many people don't agree hence the popularity of supermarkets. As an example I was in my local pub a couple of years ago and I was talking to a few blokes about the butchers in the area and which one we thought was best, no joke , one bloke said "you cant beat fray bentos, they are quality" Says it all really.