Splitter power for 4 way split.

Alycidon

12" cycle time 1.9 sec down on speed 1 return .7 sec total 2.6 sec.

What makes massive difference is return speed on this machine, i also have a splitmaster 30 ton horizontal rarely use now due to speed difference

ref fixomatic-system bought my 24 turbo 2 months ago and was offered the old splitter head where you can slide on 4 way splitter head, don't do a 4 way head for fixomatic - system.

That is impressive and safe with both hands on the controls. What price is the FS 24 from JAS? Thanks

Will be ordering a new Posch Hydro Combi vertical splitter in the next few days having had a good look at alternatives at APF.

I am simply needing to break down oversize cord into a size I can put through my processor. Max size usually about 500mm but I have some huge horse chesnut and Ash to go through.

I would like to be able to split with a 4 way head, will a 16 tonner handle that or do I need to go up to a 20 or 24 ton. Not normally splitting Oak or Euc,

Posch offer a hydraulic log lifter as an option, Simon (Wilsons) tells me that this is very rarely sold as most use the mechanical lift that comes with the splitter. If this is the case how do users get on with the mechanical lift?. Looks like you have to drop the splitting head, that drops the side loading arm, raise the splitting head and up comes the arm with log. How do you keep the head in the low position while loading the log?.

Finally there is also a winch option, I have some massive lumps of chesnut to split, most are 2 feet + in diameter so am minded to spec the winch. Is this something you use if you have it?, I would have to rig an electrical supply as my elderly MF135 does not have a 12V trailer socket but thats not an issue.

Thanks

A

As to whether to have a winch or not. Our Krpan splitter has a log lifter and a winch. I never use the log lifter as the winch is so much more convenient as you can pull the length over to the splitter in the first place and upend all in one.

Will be ordering a new Posch Hydro Combi vertical splitter in the next few days having had a good look at alternatives at APF.

I am simply needing to break down oversize cord into a size I can put through my processor. Max size usually about 500mm but I have some huge horse chesnut and Ash to go through.

I would like to be able to split with a 4 way head, will a 16 tonner handle that or do I need to go up to a 20 or 24 ton. Not normally splitting Oak or Euc,

Posch offer a hydraulic log lifter as an option, Simon (Wilsons) tells me that this is very rarely sold as most use the mechanical lift that comes with the splitter. If this is the case how do users get on with the mechanical lift?. Looks like you have to drop the splitting head, that drops the side loading arm, raise the splitting head and up comes the arm with log. How do you keep the head in the low position while loading the log?.

Finally there is also a winch option, I have some massive lumps of chesnut to split, most are 2 feet + in diameter so am minded to spec the winch. Is this something you use if you have it?, I would have to rig an electrical supply as my elderly MF135 does not have a 12V trailer socket but thats not an issue.

Thanks

A

We tried this about 5 years ago but found billets never fall the right way in a processor. We worked out if we were to carry on we would mount one of those screw splitters on a bobcat or minidigger. the other idea was mount a log splitter face down on a bobcat dice the timber and leave stood on end and chase it about until its small enough to lift on to a vertical splitter.

Well I ordered a 20t Hydro Combi with slip on slip off 4 way roller head and paid for it today.

The Fixomatic system was introduced to fall into line with expected govt legislation but in the end the govt did a U turn so Fixomatic is now special order only. The winch was an eye watering 2k + VAT, I thought the £998 + VAT that I was advised at the show was expensive but 2K is out of the question. Both were 6 weeks delivery, I have product to get off fields so that they can be drilled once we have some rain. Will use a teleporter and grab.

Steve, it may be that the billets dont fall right in the procesor but billet them small enough and there is no need for further splitting. I have been very impressed by the ease in which Lasco splitters do the job but the resultant product afterwards does not look nice at all compared to logs through a splitter on a processor. As it happens the teleporter I use is suitably piped so I could use one but it does not have an oil cooler which I suspect it would need.

Time will tell I suppose, I needed something decent that produces a half decent product fast.

A

Hi Alycidon,

We use a 20t posch, have push on 4 way but found it hard to use on billets, ok for rings. Because hard to stand / balance log in the right place to get good split. Find splinning them about easier.

Yeah those winches look useful hey.

The side loader is ok, can roll 2 x 12" logs side by side too. We crane logs onto it, have split 1m logs ok but have to lower one half back down to make space for splitting the other half into quarters. Gets bit crowded!