Which Sthil

Bunsen

First Saw, get a MS170. Light and reliable (he says with 3 in bits on the workbench), get a bigger saw to use when you need it, but do everything you can with a 170, they only cost £150, and having one will increase your bigger saws life by decades. Learn how to keep a chain sharp and they're all you need to an awful lot of work.

For a bigger saw, the MS460 is the dogs. 18" bar is stunning, yet it stihl has power to burn with a 24/25" bar on it. Probably a bit much for starting out, so the ms362 is the obvious choice, but I cannae comment as it's top of my wish list.

If your climbing, the 170 is great, but, the 150t is a great wee saw.

I'd go with a 181 rather than a 170. A bit more power and much more robust. The oil pumps on the 170s are particularly weak.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info and spelling corrections, lots to think about. Would the MS181 be ok with the larger bars or struggle ? appologies if i am asking obvious rookie questions.

Any saw of that power will struggle with a 16" bar. It's happiest with a 1.1mm (thinner than the standard 1.3mm kerf) 12" long bar.

What size bar do you think you will need to run? Remember that the odd large piece of timber you may encounter can be cut from both sides.

Any saw of that power will struggle with a 16" bar. It's happiest with a 1.1mm (thinner than the standard 1.3mm kerf) 12" long bar.

What size bar do you think you will need to run? Remember that the odd large piece of timber you may encounter can be cut from both sides.

Still not sure what direction i will be heading in after completion of certificates hence enquiring about a mid range saw that will cover a broad range of tasks. I did enquire a few weeks ago with my soon to be instructor about the MS181 as a mate has one he would lend and the reply was it would be bordering on ok for the course if not a little too small. Thanks

Are you intent on Stihl?

A Husqvarna 560xp is supposed to be a brilliant mid range saw. Run a 15" bar and it'll make you grin like a loon, but it can also pull a 20", giving you the capability to cut up to 40" dia.

May be more expensive than a smaller saw but it'll save you having to buy a bigger saw in the future.

Besides. No-one would take you seriously if you rocked up with a 181 :)

Stihl... If I had to choose, I'd say the 241 or 361, no other Stihl is even close, I'd even go as far as saying that if the 241 had husky's 2gen strato, it would be a killer!

I was using my MS 250 today, just for fencing. With a 12" 1.1mm bar it's incredibly quick. It's become my go-to saw for odd jobs, fencing, carrying on a machine, replacing the MS181. I couldn't go back to every cut taking over twice as long yet the same weight of saw.

Once it dies, it will be replaced straight away with an MS241. What an awesome power to weight ratio! :thumbup:

I was using my MS 250 today, just for fencing. With a 12" 1.1mm bar it's incredibly quick. It's become my go-to saw for odd jobs, fencing, carrying on a machine, replacing the MS181. I couldn't go back to every cut taking over twice as long yet the same weight of saw.

Once it dies, it will be replaced straight away with an MS241. What an awesome power to weight ratio! :thumbup:

Hi,

I also like my 250, OK its not a pro saw but certainly cuts well on a 14" bar.

I agree the 181 is better than the 170.

N

Edited by NFG

Stick with the 261CM. Get the Stihl 16" bar(it measures 15" from chassis to tip) for the cert tests requirements, and don't look back. I used a 16" bar for my first cert.

That's interesting ( I am starting my CS30/31 course on monday ) I went out and bought a cheap 15" bar and chain to put on my 261C-M , just for the course…… !

The 241 is amazing, the port work is better than the 550/560 huskies!