What saw for 20 large leylandii

cornish wood burner

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Steve said about the 560 18" or go American style and strait in with the 395 36" Depends , can you fell em strait on to the ground ? or do they need climbing ?

I think we will have to work down. Bosses lawn is next to some of them, poly tunnels other side and house on the end we need to start. Poly tunnels and boundary either side of others, I suspect he would not be best pleased with grooves in his lawn, polytunnels, or house. As you see a few complications. Would have been easier though especially with a little tug in the right direction.

I think we will have to work down. Bosses lawn is next to some of them, poly tunnels other side and house on the end we need to start. Poly tunnels and boundary either side of others, I suspect he would not be best pleased with grooves in his lawn, polytunnels, or house. As you see a few complications. Would have been easier though especially with a little tug in the right direction.

Ok then . climb and go small ( as said by huck ) The branch dont weigh much on its own but all the green makes it much more heavy than you think . get the chipper close to the action . Minimize the drag . Have fun ! :biggrin:

Very good question. From an amateur point of view I believe interlocking boughs cause the biggest problem. Cut the wrong limb or too big a piece and it does not move.

OK thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I have about 15 to 20 large trees (Leylandii) at my place to take down. But I can fell them straight to the ground so technically shouldn't be too difficult. However, they are growing very close together. I really just wanted to know if there was anything specific to Leylandii to watch for. Cheers

OK thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I have about 15 to 20 large trees (Leylandii) at my place to take down. But I can fell them straight to the ground so technically shouldn't be too difficult. However, they are growing very close together. I really just wanted to know if there was anything specific to Leylandii to watch for. Cheers

They don't hold a hinge that well, IME, they can also be intertwined with each other, so care is needed.

So between a 560 or 365 for the main cutting.

I know it will seem extravagant to the man who signs the cheques but presumably it would be easier and safer high in the tree with a top handle. Bear in mind I will have to justify the spending so any good ideas for this or do you think we could manage without.