Bsc versus QCF level 6

Nick Harrison

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also take up to 5 years to complete the L6. Two years is the minmum timeframe and as Andrew already said an extreme amount of work. That said it is acheivable if you get stuck in as both me and Andrew have shown along with an additional 10 tree life students. Not sure how many of those were on year 3 though. Be warned though, there is only about 30% of the students making it in 2 years and a lot drop out in the first few weeks when they realise what the work load is. I was repeatedly told by treelife not to under estimate the amount of work and i still did. Big time.

The thing i liked about the L6 was the fact that you have to meet the assessment criteria (AC) at 100%. With exam based and as far as i know with all academic, you only have to hit 50%. This means that if you do a 5837 impact assessment for L6 and it only hits 60% of the AC, you get it back with a few comments and get told to improve it. That will keep happening until you get it spot on. You then get the opportunity to increase your learing to a higher level. This would ultimatly result in you writting a better report which is a benefit if you want to do consultancy. Any report you ever write has the potential to end up in court, do you really want to defend smething which is only 50% correct? I dont see how you would get that on the academic side and that was always my concern and reason for going L6. That is just my view though, BSc is also a good qualification from what i hear.

I wouldn't worry too much about if its recognised abroad, that is the whole point of QCF. The are nationally and internationally recognised and people within the industry are well aware of what the dip arb is. :thumbup:

Thanks Nick, I can only echo what Chris has stated but to give you an idea of the time required: I run my own arb company, I have 4 full time and two part time guys and my wife runs the office; my time is spent quoting and overseeing the general management of the company.

I was spending at least 3 hours a night and ALL of the weekend to achieve the L6 in the two years; if I'd spent as much time on the first year as I did in the second year I wouldn't have been in such a push to the finish. I didn't have any holidays and Christmas and other holiday times didn't really happen for me.

Apart from that, it was an absolute joy.........

Cheers Alliaria; just heard from Tree Life saying that the moderator has looked through all the work and he doesn't have an issue therefore in a few weeks time I should be receiving a certificate - might have a little drinky this evening to celebrate

:congrats::congrats::congrats::beer:

Now go and sort those quotes!

Jon

• 6 months later...

Registered to do the L6 this autumn. Wife mentioned the other day something about having a baby in September. Can't remember exactly what she was going on about but seemed to be something about getting swollen ankles and not being able to drink wine until this baby thing is off the tit. Unsure if what she is is going on about will have any effect upon the L6. Question is, does anyone know what my wife is going on about?

Registered to do the L6 this autumn. Wife mentioned the other day something about having a baby in September. Can't remember exactly what she was going on about but seemed to be something about getting swollen ankles and not being able to drink wine until this baby thing is off the tit. Unsure if what she is is going on about will have any effect upon the L6. Question is, does anyone know what my wife is going on about?

There is a running joke about babies and pd arb at tree life. They see a huge rise in marriages, and babies from students. Having personally done Prof dip, old school way, I can vouch for the babies. It's a sure indicator that sex is a stress reliever. And that when you're wife says 'i hardly see you any more because of that bloody course, I want a baby,' the two really do compliment each other. However be warned, the stress relieving part is effective until the baby arrives, then the stress is increased ten fold.

The best way to describe p.d.arb is like somebody arrives in your office with a skip loaded of rubbish, and says deal with that every minute of the day, whilst still to do day to day work/life tasks.

Only once you have been in that place and come out the other end will you truly comprehend what it's involved in p.d arb. It's like a bad back, you have little sympathy for people who complain about them, until you are unfortunate enough to get a bad back. You'll never hear a bad word said about said person complaining of bad back again

You end up becoming very selfish during the process, you have to to keep up to date with workload.

I know several lads who nearly lost their marriage as a result of p.d. Arb.

It will open your mind, but you'll enjoy it, eventually!!!!

From my understanding you're right Paul, from my previous life I did an unrelated arb degree and was told then it was a level 6 so presumably that still applies to current academia.

One thing that quickly becomes evident is those that have studied at degree level prior to commencing Prof dip, get to grips with the writing and conveyance of info quicker and better than those that havnt.

Critical writing takes a while to adapt to if you havnt written to an academic audience before

I know several lads who nearly lost their marriage as a result of p.d. Arb.

It will open your mind, but you'll enjoy it, eventually!!!!

I'm not sure if I'm even married at the moment.

There's a woman around who puts food and drink on the table that goes cold, a warm mass asleep in bed when I get in and out, and clean underwear in the drawer.

I sort of recognize her from a time before the L6, but mainly she's a presence and a disruption to concentration that I tend to ignore.