Quick descent with a hitch climber isn't cool...

Stephen Blair

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life expectancy of your cord (depending what cord it is and how you've set it) with a vt and ropeguide can be as little as 1-4 climbs if you fly about. As for the hockling like Steve said you may need to milk the rope, and after a while it will settle down and not be so bad.

Try a knute? it doesn't hockle so bad and grips more reliably.

Life expectancy of your cord (depending what cord it is and how you've set it) with a vt and ropeguide can be as little as 1-4 climbs if you fly about. As for the hockling like Steve said you may need to milk the rope, and after a while it will settle down and not be so bad.

Try a knute? it doesn't hockle so bad and grips more reliably.

Knute, that is what i was using, worked better than the other variations i had tried. moral is just check check check. dont let it put you off mesterh, it is just wierd when you have climbed one way for about 12 years to try a new method. it is like starting again. i worked for another hour after that dead wooding an oak and the ropeguide/hc combo was excellent. the only reason i came down out the tree in the first place is because i knew how easy it would be going back up:ohmy::001_smile:

i cant get the rope to self tend unless there is at least 40 feet below me, i dont like the arm over arm, hold on take up the slack idea. is it possible to get it too self tend from the ground?

It won't self tend itself from the ground, try not to worry to much about that, climbing arm over arm is easier than thrusting with a blakes/prussik, you could get the groundy to belay you?

You just got to perservere, and it will all fall into place.

To stop burning your fingers just hold the coils to descend not the top of the coils!

It won't self tend itself from the ground, try not to worry to much about that, climbing arm over arm is easier than thrusting with a blakes/prussik, you could get the groundy to belay you?

You just got to perservere, and it will all fall into place.

To stop burning your fingers just hold the coils to descend not the top of the coils!

i reckon if i attach a small pulley to a 5 kg dumbell and feed my rope through it and back onto my harness the rope will self tend, as i go up the rope will go down, and when i need to re route i can pull it up and lower it back down. simples:001_cool: