Stress of the job

stoff101

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to make the monthly payments is the business stresser....

I do look at local gov't employees who have steady income, holidays, pension etc and think have I been wasting my time? They seem to have no real stress in their life.....

After 15 yearsself employed my missis took lecturing job, she says they all stress themselves up about redundancy, whilst she knows if it happens we can work our way out of the hole.....

I guess real stress is illness, especially a kid .......puts rest into perspective

Having to make the monthly payments is the business stresser....

I do look at local gov't employees who have steady income, holidays, pension etc and think have I been wasting my time? They seem to have no real stress in their life.....

After 15 yearsself employed my missis took lecturing job, she says they all stress themselves up about redundancy, whilst she knows if it happens we can work our way out of the hole.....

I guess real stress is illness, especially a kid .......puts rest into perspective

I would take exception to this "far off fields" comment.

Having endured a complete nervous breakdown in local government, during our childrens formative years too.

I am/was a Supervisor who was routinely tasked to "make bricks without straw", or rather, use unskilled/unmotivated/unsackable long-time Council employees within the constraints of an unsuitable Bonus Scheme.

All while being undermined by my 2 line managers who used my staff(on the back of a last minute ph call) to attend to their topical priorities.

Then I was held responsible for the failures of routine planned maint ops.

Especially if I dared take hols in the summer.

I came back to chaos.

And was held accountable.(And my Union rep was useless, I finally contacted the Union Head Office in London to query the running of their Belfast office, which actually resulted in changes btw)

That has however now changed with the appointment of more foccused, more professional senior staff, who can actually "manage" .

I.e. say NO to the unreasonable demands that were/are routinely made.

Life is currently OK, and it would be good if we could get rid of the seriously under-performing/overage/unfit/overweight/unwell/cognatively challanged manual staff.

But we cant, apparently.

cheers

Marcus

PS

My longstanding "joke" is the Council do not pay you to work, they pay to to suffer to work with the people you are oblidged to work with.

AND

I am well aware that is a double-edged sword!:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

• 3 weeks later...

Stress as high as it can be right now due to a neighbour banging on my door at 3:30am Sunday morning to tell me a taxi had hit my van.. Straight into the front end at got knows what speed his cars a write off he also managed to take out my neighbours car. Got by today with navara and caged trailer courtesy van with no tow bar turning up at 10am tomorrow chipper axle snapped last week they rung today to say it will be 3 weeks from today until it's back.. Could it get any worse? It did when a van dealer earlier guranteed me there wrote my van off. Literally stressed is an understatement!

• 2 months later...