Cats v Wildlife

Lucan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which estimates that the UK's cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of which 55 million are birds. This is the number of prey items that were known to have been caught; we don't know how many more the cats caught, but didn't bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.

From here: The RSPB: Advice: Are cats causing bird declines?

Farmers are worse so we will ignore the cats that are easily controlled.

How can u possibly think cats have "naff all effect on song bird numbers"

Seemingly there is 8.5 million cats in the Uk and estimate they kill 275 million prey items a year and 55 million birds.(according tothe rspb)

That is a hell of a birds. Thats means the uk's song birds need to breed and fledge atleast 55 million chicks just to cover cat predation never mind old age and other causes of death.

I see in the paper today a Wryneck has just been killed by a cat probably the only 1 in UK.

I have no problem with cats (not a fan thou) but i do have respect for the countryside and my neighbours. I just can't get my head round how so many cat owners are happy sticking their head in the sand and not acknowledge the fact that their pet has an impact on other peoples lives and theyy don't have a choice in it.

Even if u don't respect other people surely u should have some respect for the UK's wildlife it ws here long before us althou much of it won't be left shortly

I manage a small area of woodland and was hoping to set up a small nature reserve in it and had started a lot of work, but some new neighbours have moved in with cats so nature reserve is on hold. No point in attracting birds in only to be ate by cats for fun, already lost a red squirrel to them this year. Is that fair?? Most of the other neighbours used to feed the birds but have also stopped because of the cats

Edited by countrryboy
i see stuart beat me to the stats

How can u possibly think cats have "naff all effect on song bird numbers"

Seemingly there is 8.5 million cats in the Uk and estimate they kill 275 million prey items a year and 55 million birds.(according tothe rspb)

That is a hell of a birds. Thats means the uk's song birds need to breed and fledge atleast 55 million chicks just to cover cat predation never mind old age and other causes of death.

I see in the paper today a Wryneck has just been killed by a cat probably the only 1 in UK.

I have no problem with cats (not a fan thou) but i do have respect for the countryside and my neighbours. I just can't get my head round how so many cat owners are happy sticking their head in the sand and not acknowledge the fact that their pet has an impact on other peoples lives and theyy don't have a choice in it.

Even if u don't respect other people surely u should have some respect for the UK's wildlife it ws here long before us althou much of it won't be left shortly

I manage a small area of woodland and was hoping to set up a small nature reserve in it and had started a lot of work, but some new neighbours have moved in with cats so nature reserve is on hold. No point in attracting birds in only to be ate by cats for fun, already lost a red squirrel to them this year. Is that fair?? Most of the other neighbours used to feed the birds but have also stopped because of the cats

It could be said that if you respected other people you would leave that text type alone but that's just my point of view. Wildlife in the UK doesn't pre date human occupation and if you want to have a go at anyone about affecting UK wildlife start at the top and have a go at farming.

You cite the killing of a rare bird, there is a reason that certain species are scarce and for the most part that reason is mans wider activities, cats are just a small factor of that. Have you seen a dodo lately? Lapwings were a common sight when I was a kid, now they end up in the bailer. Many upper tier predators were (allegedly still are) deliberately targeted by man. The Kingfisher at the start of this thread is only making a comeback because our waterways are recovering from an industrial past.

Mans activities are the very reason we domesticated cats, they are a useful vermin control tool.

You cite certain facts from the RSPB but you have to accept that they have a vested interest in the "bird" camp.

I question the stats they provide. We own a cat, its 14 years old and regularly brings in rodents, mostly mice with the occasional rat or vole, in all that time it brought in 1 bird.

Now I accept that's a statistically flawed model but its fact nonetheless.

I think its time for a chill out pill all round. I think we need to worry more about passenger planes falling on our houses and millions of refugees making a run for our shores. There is enough bitching and fighting going on in the west with out people fighting over a cat. Judging by the amount of dead cats I find in my garden secondary poisoning seems to be evening up the score.

I think its time for a chill out pill all round. I think we need to worry more about passenger planes falling on our houses and millions of refugees making a run for our shores. There is enough bitching and fighting going on in the west with out people fighting over a cat. Judging by the amount of dead cats I find in my garden secondary poisoning seems to be evening up the score.

Don't discourage them Steve:lol: this make a change, cat v dog rather than Stihl v husqvarna.

The thread failed when Nazi's were mentioned anyway. That's an internet law.:001_tt2: