Any Boat Experts?

Tom D

There's a slight difference between buoyancy aids and life jackets. The latter will keep your head above water even if you're unconscious. The former just help you float. But they're much tougher day to day, tolerating fisk hooks, petrol spillages, knife cuts etc much better than life jackets will. I always liked wearing a buoyancy aid, it saves your ribs when you're hanging over the gunwhales.

One of the two is better than nothing.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the early Shetlands were built with a 15" transom which require a standard shaft OB, but in the interests of giving the boat more freeboard, they were later built with a 20" transom for a long shaft.

And.. by all accounts there were some built in between the 15" and the 20".

So, to match the outboard you need to measure the transom, from the top horizontal surface to the point at the bottom.

Then measure the OB, the anti cavitation plate over the prop should sit just level with the bottom of the boat when in correct 'trim' (or very, very slightly higher)

If the shaft is too long the performance will be lost due to drag and exhaust back pressure amongst other reasons. It will also effect the ability to work in the shallows if for example, you want to visit a beach for a picnic.

Be very careful when buying a used motor to check that the cooling passages are clear of salt crystals.

I bought one a few years ago that was immaculate. It had only been used once, the prop was unmarked. It had then been stored for a dozen years in a garage.

It started and ran fine but siezed up on the first voyage after 15 minutes and right in the middle of the tidal race in the Exe estuary.

When I dissmantled it the cooling passages were completely choked with salt crystal growth as it had nor been flushed before storage.

all the above post looking at that engine i would get it checked out by a experienced outboard engineer. last thing you want is to be stuck out at sea.

or get a new susuki 4 stroke friend works on a marina and has similar boat to yours and thats what is going on his.

but get a VHF radio do NOT relies on a mobile they do not work at sea.

as other posts flares, etc and life jackets. i have been out in the solent in a boat not unlike yours fine when we went out it turned nasty we had the tide againts us and it was ripping the waves up she was digging in and water was coming over her. was glad to get in. the sea has no friends respect her and your be safe. but go on some courses worth every penny.

suprised RNLI has not posted on this subject he would help

[quote=hedgesparrow;1161847

but get a VHF radio do NOT relies on a mobile they do not work at sea.

And just be aware that you need a VHF radio licence to have a radio on a boat, and also an operators licence to be able to use it!

Also don't forget to get full insurance on your craft for 3rd party liability even if you don't want to insure the vessel itself.

As others have said, a boat is a money pit. But I would not be without mine.