Leyllandi fire wood

Taff3757

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually gladly give it away because of the sap, yes it burns fine but it deposits it's sticky stuff everywhere, like log baskets, light switches, doors, fireguards, etc so having small kids it's no fun scraping it off their hands, then tracing where they have stuck to around the house.

It's better that chewing gum at sticking to everything, so much so that you only have to put your hand on the end, and the log sticks to it, best thing we find when burning is to buy a pair of leather gauntlet gloves ( I use TIG welding gloves) and wear them when handling.

The fast growth of Leylandii is mostly in the foliage rather than the timber, or at least you need a good deal of foliage to produce sizeable timber, so woodland grown would be pretty spindly, with lots of waste.

Also weight for weight most timbers are of similar calorific value, Laylandii is very light weight once seasoned, so by volume timber such as Ash will yield a much greaten caloric return, I would imagine.

So if its available as a byproduct of tree removals/reductions its well worth having, IMO, but not something you would plant to produce fuel.

The fast growth of Leylandii is mostly in the foliage rather than the timber, or at least you need a good deal of foliage to produce sizeable timber, so woodland grown would be pretty spindly, with lots of waste

Have grown a lot in single rows as windbreaks, in these situations they are pretty much fully furnished with foliage. They grow fast and put on a decent amount of timber, how they compare to other varieties I don't know.

Have also grown quite a few solid blocks of it for various reasons, and as Skyhuck says it is pretty spindly and thin. Good for fence posts kind of spindly.

Interestingly we have used some for posts, simply cut them down and sharpened one end. They lasted better than the peeled and treated commercially available posts.

a very under rated timber in my opinion. if left to grow (rare given the undeserved hatred of it) it will yield a very good timber and the branches make great firewood.

as a turner i'd be interested in that trunk as it barely moves or splits even in large sizes. looks quite nice too and takes a decent polish.