Taking card payments - PCI DSS compliance

Jay

We take card payments and have done for a couple of years now. We have a portable machine through streamline which was processed through Cardsave which has now changed to Worldpay.

I have been getting charged a PCI DSS non compliance fee of £10 per month. When trying to register and comply I found the terms and conditions you are signing to are so irrelevant and some impossible for a UK based business as it has clearly been written for the states. When I phoned up to complain about this I was simply told you have to sign it or continue to get fined.

Has anyone else has this issue? I would happily leave Worldpay because of this and try a new method of taking card payments if anyone has any suggestions.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I'd just get the paypal card reader personally. People moan about paypal but I don't see the charges are particularly any higher than anyone else, certainly not enough to make too much difference. I can see it would be worthwhile shopping around for the best deal if you were a retail business making hundreds of transactions per day.

I am with cardsave/worldpay and streamline, use a gprs unit and have done the pci compliant thingy.

sign in on the pci portal and then there is a help number, phone that and they will tell you how to do it.

Takes about 10 minutes to complete as most of it is irrelevant.

If you leave worldpay/cardsave be aware of the 12 month rolling contract you probably have with them

Edited by scraggs

Yes. I am with Barclaycard and attempted to fill in the forms but found it ridiculous complicated. I can usually figure these things out but it was incredibly complicated jargon and I am wary of just clicking 'agree/confirm' without knowing what it was all about. In honesty I do not really know what it is and the difference between what I am doing now and will be doing as per their instructions.

I get charged £2.40 per month for being non-compliant.

Hi

How do find world pay. I've just signed up. Got 7 days left to cancel if need be.

from what I can find it seems good but would be good to hear your views. I'm getting the gprs one

Thanks

I am with cardsave/worldpay and streamline, use a gprs unit and have done the pci compliant thingy.

sign in on the pci portal and then there is a help number, phone that and they will tell you how to do it.

Takes about 10 minutes to complete as most of it is irrelevant.

If you leave worldpay/cardsave be aware of the 12 month rolling contract you probably have with them

Interesting topic. Now that we're moving back into contracting after a longish hiatus behind desks I'm interested to see how people are taking payments now that cheques are less in use (I haven't written one for years).

I don't expect people to hand over cash on the spot, but I don't like the idea of completing a job and then leaving site empty-handed either.

The Paypal card machine looks interesting. I like the idea that the funds would go straight into the Paypal account and transferred out. Anyone on here used this system?

Hi

How do find world pay. I've just signed up. Got 7 days left to cancel if need be.

from what I can find it seems good but would be good to hear your views. I'm getting the gprs one

Thanks

I think they all try and rip you off, it has taken ages to get them to replace a faulty gprs unit, but in general they are ok.

I will probably move when we are due for renewal, and will likely go with sagepay, who were very transparent on their pricing, they were a bit vague on the price of pci compliance though, which is why I didn't go with them this year.

Thanks. Ive looked at the ones that link to your phone and the main drawback is that you can't do telephone transactions should someone want to pay and not be in when i deliver logs.

Likewise i don't want a purely internet based one as i want to be able to take payments when i'm out.

I'm hoping to gain more customers by offering card payments esp credit cards when people have 0% offers.

Had paypal and credit card online systems

Credit card merchant services was cheaper but pain in the ass

Paypal works well when set up, but can be bgger to set up

Payal have just changed online system and now make customers register with them

My son has paypal handheld card reader, they were £90 but when he didn't buy they reduced price to £45 - he likes to carry it with him in case he makes a sale .....he rates it

Paypal are a pain if summat goes wrong