Construction is the most dangerous industry in the UK?

kevinjohnsonmbe

Construction is the most dangerous industry in the UK, 32 per cent of all workplace deaths occurred in the construction industry in 2013/14. - See more at:

South West construction deaths remain too high | UCATT

Are more deaths in any particular industry sector really an indicator of the 'dangers' associated with that sector or are they actually an indicator of poor practice, lack of adequate training, carelessness and ignorance?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could just mean that 98% of the population work in the construction industry and compared to other jobs it is one of the safest.

Statistics can be used to portray anything you want them to.

Yes, but we all know that no where near 98% of the population work in the construction industry!.......it's a waffty old place, is a building/construction site.

That sound pretty bad for the construction industry.Do we know the percentage of the work force employed in construction? Obviously if it was 33 percent then not so bad, however most builders I know have a story to tell either about their own or a workmates injury. It is a dangerous game but probably worse than it might be. What is your view on fixed price jobs prompting things you have outlined including excess speed and knowingly cutting corners.

I once read an advert for the Post Office Bank. it said that 98% of the population live within a few hundred yards of their nearest Post Office.

At the time dozens of rural PO's were being shut down, the nearest one to me was 5 miles away. The advert made me cross because to me they were shutting down all the rural PO's and still claiming nearly everyone was only a few hundred yards away from their nearest branch.

I was so cross I actually complained to advertising standards (very Victor Meldrew and quite out of character for me). They went to great lengths to hold an inquiry into the matter and to keep me very well updated on the progress. They then informed me that 98% do live that close. There's obviously more PO's and people in the towns and cities than I thought.

It could be they all work in the construction industry unbeknownst to us.

Probably not, but my point about statistics still stands. I thought farming was more dangerous, (I am a farmer). I think the fishing industry says the same too

That sound pretty bad for the construction industry.Do we know the percentage of the work force employed in construction? Obviously if it was 33 percent then not so bad, however most builders I know have a story to tell either about their own or a workmates injury. It is a dangerous game but probably worse than it might be. What is your view on fixed price jobs prompting things you have outlined including excess speed and knowingly cutting corners.

10% of UK jobs are in construction (DBIS figure, 2013), 32% of the deaths.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Every site I go on I see problems and accidents waiting to happen. But it's okay, everyone has supplied their RAMS so it's right. Elf and Safety is so in control that no-one needs to think anymore or have any common sense as to their own well-being.

I see people under suspended loads, but it's okay,the slings and chains have been Loler 'tested':sneaky2: so they can't fail and the operator is certificated - so he won't make any errors.:001_rolleyes:

H&S has just become an butt-covering exercise for the main contractor.