Self employed tractor drivers rates

NoRush

During summer while tree work slow i contract tractor drive for a local farmer. Since a sudden management change (the boss dropping dead) and the new management taking over they have started questioning my hourly rates. With the old management you would get extras such as forklift training, first aid etc at no extra cost. But now not. Question is what's the going rate for a tractor driver / yard person self employed over 40 with over 25 years experience

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the difference between being a commodity and appreciated. Sounds like the new boss wants to make an impression with the figures!

I have hgv C&E I get £10-12 per hour right through self employed. Pay all my own training costs. Also it's a flat rate no O.T rate

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

My rates are about right then. The place is a good place to work and the guys i work with are a good bunch it's just the boss he's a nob (and that's being polite). This is my 15 summer with them but I'm start to think about a change

Operating machinery effectively and safely involves skill understanding and intelligence especially the new £50,000 + tractors. If I was running a farm I would be looking at the quality of the operator considering the damage a mistake can do. A pound or two an hour is nothing compared to a bent plough or someone killed.

That's what the previous boss did Steve. The new boss is the part owner, has had no interest in the farm untill 3 years ago and doesn't see things like that. I think he don't like me after we had a chat when he accused me of being lazy even though i had been working my bits off and the fact that I'm not one of his YES men. I didn't disrespect him i just told him straight. Now he's questioning my rates and what i do.

A polish bloke driving for one of our local farms tipped a browser over going round a bend too fast and split it open ( Only single skin ! ) and all the diesel spilt out over the road . Complete re surface for about 400 yards . Cheap labor ??

Operating machinery effectively and safely involves skill understanding and intelligence especially the new £50,000 + tractors. If I was running a farm I would be looking at the quality of the operator considering the damage a mistake can do. A pound or two an hour is nothing compared to a bent plough or someone killed.

Sorry to bring up an old scratched record. But HGV, special license needed. CPC. Trucks generally over £100,000 minimum to buy new. Authorities ready to hunt you down like a fox. Working out the maths of drivers rules EU regs, liable for not doing petty things with big fines such as not carrying previous 28 days records of work. (could be a £1000 fine if i remember right)

Tractor driving is a lot less risk for the money. I've done both and yes wonder why I do the truck driving. Many HGV drivers not on £10 per hour:confused1:

But I do agree with your comments Steve.