Awkward people!!

hamdogg

Not arb related but building. Sister and family are having an extension done at the back. Garden is hemmed in by other gardens. Cut a long story short, two decent sized I-beams were moved in by hand some weeks ago. But two considerably more hefty ones arrived three days ago. As part of the build, the use of a Hiab was needed to place the second two from lorry and over house.

So at some point after initial manoeuvring of lorry & Hiab. There's one of the 7.2m I-beams hanging in the air directly above the the house, when from nowhere this guy turns up in his pyjamas and slippers and lays it on the line. We're blocking the pavement, we're making too much noise, as a building site we're not allowed to start before 08:00

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and it's 07:30. It's not classed as a building site, so isn't governed by that stipulation. The pavement being block was immediately outside my sister's place. This guy lives a few door down and on the opposite side.

The smell of diesel from a lorry on tickover is unbearable and he's going to report us to the LA. During the lift, the refuse collection arrives and easily gets by, as does a removals truck.

Oh and his neighbour is going to miss his holiday flight because of the work. So he is going to sue us too. After the lift is complete, brother-in-law goes across the road to apologise about a missed flight and offers to pay any expenses. Only to find, that he could have easily got out anytime he wanted and the family are driving to the Lake District. He then goes to Mr. Grumpy and complains to him, that he's been stirring the pot with some good neighbours, (us) and could he keep his nose out of it.

Edited by TGB

Well now.

Lucky old us really.

The French for the most part are far better mannered and more formal than the Brits, that is clear.

We just don't see the same level of yobbish behaviours from either Yoofs or Adults.

That is not to say people don't get annoyed with us from time to time though.

Like earlier when I was grinding on a Bank Holiday to make up for lost time.

This is STRICTLY forbidden here, proper old set of by laws concerning nuisances in built up areas and this day I WAS the nuisance.

I polite lady came across and reminded me of this rule.

So I apologised profusely and explained the situation about making up time on this site clearance contract as the grinder had been playing up.

Lady was sympathetic and let me finish my stump on the understanding that it was the last one of the job.

Thank you kind lady!

Ty

It never ceases to amaze me how many people there are who's sole aim is to be miserable, argumentative and a general pain in the proverbial. I think most people believe that any form of work involving physical labour whether it's tree work, builders, road sweepers etc, reduces us to sounding boards for their own inadequacies.

I had 2 teachers move men at work signs and ignore barrier tape and when I shouted at them to move before they got a branch on their heads they told they I can't talk to them like that, they're teachers........

We had to remove a monster roadside oak for a developer and ended up with the entire tree hugging population of the adjacent housing estate trying to stop us , police turned up to try and calm it all down and by the time we started a TV crew turned up to film it. Made the news on southern tv:lol:. Often wondered how many trees were felled to accommodate the houses on the estate the huggers lived in.

Bob

I had my fill of the uk public and there polite manners, not only in tree work but while spending 2 years working in a camera shop in Truro while recovering from a back injury.

The way in which people speak to you to try and get something for nothing is unbelievable. I was threatened on several occasions with violence, have been called most names under the sun and on one occasion had a customer wrestle me over the counter trying to leave the shop without paying for a repair on their camera, the strap was around my neck at the time! This was by a 50 ish year old guy that looked like he wouldn't hurt a fly. He then tried to claim I had assaulted him, and kicked me twice while trying to get to my feet. Another customer restrained him while the police were called, and cctv showed him to be at fault. :thumbdown:

2 years of daily abuse and arguments gave me the impetus to move to France. I have never looked back.

... and it's 07:30. It's not classed as a building site, so isn't governed by that stipulation. The pavement being block was immediately outside my sister's place. This guy lives a few door down and on the opposite side.

The smell of diesel from a lorry on tickover is unbearable and he's going to report us to the LA. During the lift, the refuse collection arrives and easily gets by, as does a removals truck.

Oh and his neighbour is going to miss his holiday flight because of the work. So he is going to sue us too. After the lift is complete, brother-in-law goes across the road to apologise about a missed flight and offers to pay any expenses. Only to find, that he could have easily got out anytime he wanted and the family are driving to the Lake District. He then goes to Mr. Grumpy and complains to him, that he's been stirring the pot with some good neighbours, (us) and could he keep his nose out of it.

HI TGB thats the best way mate tell to keep there nose out of mate all the best jon :thumbup:

I like that! The other way of dealing with such situations, as I learned in a former life, is to go overboard with offering what they want; offer to line up all the guys in front of the truck for a pic, 'would you like my card?', 'may I give you a guided tour of my worksite?'

They know you're taking the p1ss but it's in a way that's beyond reproach. What gets them is that you're not wound up by them.

Kinda of like lowering yourself to their level but not exactly :sneaky2:.

Seems folks are so bored with not having anything left to do with their lives.

Here stateside there called sidewalk superintendents and busy buddies. Some

Supers are actually not bad, I have had some interesting conversations over the years. I do like the reversal of roles when the contractor starts taking pictures.

easy-lift guy

I had my fill of the uk public and there polite manners, not only in tree work but while spending 2 years working in a camera shop in Truro while recovering from a back injury.

The way in which people speak to you to try and get something for nothing is unbelievable. I was threatened on several occasions with violence, have been called most names under the sun and on one occasion had a customer wrestle me over the counter trying to leave the shop without paying for a repair on their camera, the strap was around my neck at the time! This was by a 50 ish year old guy that looked like he wouldn't hurt a fly. He then tried to claim I had assaulted him, and kicked me twice while trying to get to my feet. Another customer restrained him while the police were called, and cctv showed him to be at fault. :thumbdown:

2 years of daily abuse and arguments gave me the impetus to move to France. I have never looked back.

I think that's a cornwall thing haha , I must say I now actually enjoy challenges of the angry neighbour or disgruntled ignorant member of the public , certainly makes the average strait forward job a little more interesting :thumbup: