Renting a yard.

Arborist

I've got my very own yard, 4.8 acres, plenty of room for chip, logs etc, its got barns, a stable block , water, telephone line, electric...

troubles is its 33miles from home/base anyone want to hire it....:cussing:

so become a charcoal burner Lee, then you can live on site to manage your business, as charcoal needs round the clock attention. Or a shepherd

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, heres my cut on it;

I spent nearly 20 years working for farmers in my area, thats what i see as the prime part of my life, starting off doing the lads jobs and worked my way to management position. I then went self employed around 6 years ago doing some agric jobs seasonal etc while i got my tree business going.

Unfortunately, less than one year into self employment i fell off a lorry working on pea harvesters, fractured my spine and spent the next year recovering, recieving no help or even well wishes from the farming community i had worked in for so long.

On return to work i progressed with my recovery as my business built up so never seeked any further work from agriculture and feel that my business is going well enough without "help" from any farmers.

I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but i feel the farming community seem to be only happy when things are either free to them, very cheap, or better than the one the neighbour has! If they cannot get a benifit from it- sell it, throw it away, or, when it comes to staff, ignore it!

So the top and bottom of it is, in my opinion, buy your own agric land, set up calf rearing, alpaca wool production, or whatever takes your fancy, then build yourself your "stock keepers cottage" and run the arb business "as a second occupation" from the same site.

This can be done in a way that would cost you overall around the same money as buying an average priced family home, but with an agricultural clause.

I suppose what my point is; dont rely on farmers at all, learn from them, and do as they would- after all, they are the grand masters in manipulation for their own benefit!

Your 100% right about the farming commuinty 18 stoner. I used to whip in to a Beagle pack and ive never met a more selfish bunch of people! I used to get the hound feed in my truck and often id tow the hound trailler out to the meets, which ment that i couldn't have my van sign written because of the antis. I built a 12x12m Ring out of picket fencing for the puppy show, the huntsman was supposed to have helped but all i ended up with was a well meaning 80 year old who just got in the way. I didn't even get paid for the job and not even a thank you.

They all think there so bloody hard dun by.

Well my fight the ban stickers have long gone!

Ok, heres my cut on it;

I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but i feel the farming community seem to be only happy when things are either free to them, very cheap, or better than the one the neighbour has! If they cannot get a benifit from it- sell it, throw it away, or, when it comes to staff, ignore it!

Sums up my feelings on Farmers perfectly. WHat other industry gets that kind of subsidy, let alone paid to do nothing!:cussing:

..and it's even more galling when they get subsidies to diversify into other people's businesses.

And they are perfectly set up to do so -masses of land and barns for storage and processing, ususally lots of contacts through tha old farmers network, Single payment scheme subsidy's, guarenteed finance facility through the banks...

It makes me sick.