Thought this was considered bad practice

NickinMids

Out of date it may be, but if we stop re pollarding old pollards wont we end up with weak unions that will cause more damage to the tree when they snap than re pollarding every few years?

I have no problem with a regular pollarding regime. My argument is that the original photo is not pollarding and should not be referred to as such. It gives the wrong impression to clients. They rely on us to give them advice and it should be accurate. If trees have been topped in the 80's when we knew nothing about trees then fine they have to be managed as topped trees. But long term we should be looking at phasing them out with a tree renewal program and they should not be confused with genuine pollarding.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As per your picture that's what I consider acceptable pollarding/re pollarding

The original pic I took is possibly what pollarding meant some years ago and is maybe something you might do to willows if you have a basket factory. I was surprised to see it done to Limes in Kidderminster, but maybe it is acceptable practice, just out of fashion. Are there tree health reasons why it shouldn't be done..?

The main reason is the size of the wounds. They will never occlude. Proper pollarding should not introduce decay, topping will without doubt. You are also asking a lot of the tree if you remove all the potential energy within the branches and then ask it to compartmentalise huge wounds. Add to that the fact that there are very few buds for leaf growth and this adds to the problems. Pollarding on the other hand, you still have all the stored energy in the branches, the wounds are small and will occlude within a season or two, and there is a developed framework of branches for new leaves which means lots of energy from photosynthesis. Your instincts on pruning are spot on with is. :thumbup:

I have no problem with a regular pollarding regime. My argument is that the original photo is not pollarding and should not be referred to as such. It gives the wrong impression to clients. They rely on us to give them advice and it should be accurate. If trees have been topped in the 80's when we knew nothing about trees then fine they have to be managed as topped trees. But long term we should be looking at phasing them out with a tree renewal program and they should not be confused with genuine pollarding.

just to correct you there ,we knew more about trees than youve been led to believe, its more of a case of arboriculture not been available to the wider circule of folk :001_smile:

just to correct you there ,we knew more about trees than youve been led to believe, its more of a case of arboriculture not been available to the wider circule of folk :001_smile:

How is that any different? In 1980 Shigo may have known about codit but no one else did. Hence we as an industry knew nothing about trees. We were still painting wounds with arborex and filling cavities with concrete. When did matheck apply the axiom of uniform stress to trees? Or, when did Schwartze start looking at fungal colonisation strategies or different methods of reaction zone penetration? And when did that start filtering down to arbs? you are talking the last 10 - 15 years for the latter stuff. Mate, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think we can do better.

How is that any different? In 1980 Shigo may have known about codit but no one else did. Hence we as an industry knew nothing about trees. We were still painting wounds with arborex and filling cavities with concrete. When did matheck apply the axiom of uniform stress to trees? Or, when did Schwartze start looking at fungal colonisation strategies or different methods of reaction zone penetration? And when did that start filtering down to arbs? you are talking the last 10 - 15 years for the latter stuff. Mate, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think we can do better.

WHAT !!!!!:laugh1

concreate & painting hasnt been used since the eraly/mid 70ts,

WHAT !!!!!:laugh1

concreate & painting hasnt been used since the eraly/mid 70ts,

Oh I am miles out there then with the wound painting. So what about the other issues then? Codit, fungal strategies, etc. These are the real break throughs in modern arboriculture. Did we know about those in 1980? The 1989 version of 3998 actually said that pollarding was synonymous with topping. That's how far we have come in that amount of time. The 2010 edition is pretty much the opposite.

Why do you have to accept it? Its out-dated tree work by about 30 years. Why not change it? Its not even difficult we have 3998 which is basically an instruction book on tree work.

Dont bang on abour 3998 as even LA cant and dont stick to it! LA are the worst for double standard and no the first pic is not propper pollarding most if us know that but its been done so needs managing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Dont bang on abour 3998 as even LA cant and dont stick to it! LA are the worst for double standard and no the first pic is not propper pollarding most if us know that but its been done so needs managing.

Never said LA's work to it! Some do and some don't. Same with tree surgeons and consultants, some do and some don't. That wasn't the question. The question was 'is it bad practice' and that answer is yes. The lad who first posted was seeking clarification on the quality of the work as he thought it was bad practice. He was right and that is all I am saying. Sounds like he wants to work to a high standard and that should be encouraged irrespective of what the local TO does.

K

Never said LA's work to it! Some do and some don't. Same with tree surgeons and consultants, some do and some don't. That wasn't the question. The question was 'is it bad practice' and that answer is yes. The lad who first posted was seeking clarification on the quality of the work as he thought it was bad practice. He was right and that is all I am saying. Sounds like he wants to work to a high standard and that should be encouraged irrespective of what the local TO does.

Am not arguing with you on the quality of work, no its not a proper pollard, a proper pollard should start young in a trees life and be maintained on a cyclic basis there after unfortunately that's modern "pollarding" for you, not pretty but serves a purpose and done all too often.