VOSA landy and tacho

firewoodman

If you tow a chipper you should use a tacho.

Your exemption for only carrying tools ect falls down if you carry chip or logs.

Therefore if you tow a chipper to site, fill the truck with chip or logs, and drive back towing the chipper you are breaking the law.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer really.

I have a 130 defender with chip body and tow a tracked Timberwolf 150 on an ifor plant trailer, I remove chip and logs so should I be using a tacho?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to have a tachograph, the requirement is for keeping a record of the drivers hours, if the vehicle isn't fitted with a tachograph you can use a manual hours book.

That's what we thought but when we got stopped by VOSA we got told that it wasn't good enough to do that and that we had to have a tacho fitted.

We'd have gotten into less bother if we'd pleaded ignorance but in their eyes, the fact we'd been keeping records meant that we were aware of the rules and were trying to sidestep them as such.

That's what we thought but when we got stopped by VOSA we got told that it wasn't good enough to do that and that we had to have a tacho fitted.

We'd have gotten into less bother if we'd pleaded ignorance but in their eyes, the fact we'd been keeping records meant that we were aware of the rules and were trying to sidestep them as such.

I would have asked him to show me where the drivers hours regs says you MUST have a tachograph. I know it dosent.

I would have asked him to show me where the drivers hours regs says you MUST have a tachograph. I know it dosent.

I just left boss at the time to deal with them as they had us both in two vehicles. Fined and given a prohibition notice (but they did later give us an exemption to drive the 350 miles back unloaded at no more than 40mph). Had us there for a cuple of hours and if they really wanted to could of had on overloading but went after the lack of tacho instead.

Thankfully I don't do anything like as much driving like that now.

I have a 130 defender with chip body and tow a tracked Timberwolf 150 on an ifor plant trailer, I remove chip and logs so should I be using a tacho?

They are tightening up on this, for EU rules you must have a tachograph, for UK rules you don't....yet.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/HGV%20Tachograph%20Exemption%20Declaration%20Form.pdf

Exemption 5 is good 17 is winging it because it says materials so carting waste isn't covered but you could probably blag it unless you land one of the better trained ones in a bad mood.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can show you ..... EU REGS

Article 2

1. This Regulation shall apply to the carriage by road:

(a) of goods where the maximum permissible mass of the

vehicle, including any trailer, or semi-trailer, exceeds

3,5 tonnes

Article 4

For the purposes of this Regulation the following definitions

shall apply:

(a) ‘carriage by road’ means any journey made entirely or in

part on roads open to the public by a vehicle, whether

laden or not, used for the carriage of passengers or

goods;

(b) ‘vehicle’ means a motor vehicle, tractor, trailer or semitrailer

or a combination of these vehicles, defined as

follows:

— ‘motor vehicle’: any self-propelled vehicle travelling

on the road, other than a vehicle permanently

running on rails, and normally used for carrying

passengers or goods,

33) The introduction of recording equipment pursuant to

Regulation (EC) No 2135/98, enabling the activities of a

driver over a 28-day period to be recorded electronically

on his driver card and electronic records of vehicle

operations to cover a 365-day period, will in future make

for more rapid and comprehensive roadside checks.

33) was introduced to replace the existing analogue tacho

Without having a tacho fitted how else can the laws be complied with?

If an exemption applies in either articles 3 or 13 then fine, no tacho needs to be fitted :001_smile:

Matt, I understand your frustration, but the fact of the matter is that much like the changes to driving licence categories in 1997, none of this stuff has been advertised by the responsible authorities. VOSA know full well that the majority of drivers and companies are in the dark, which is why so many people get let off a first offence.

However, rather than waiting for people to get caught, if they really wanted widespread compliance, surely it would make sense to educate by advertising in trade press, national press, or by encouraging tacho fitting firms to advertise their services by informing companies of their responsibilites.

As it is, VOSA seem happy to keep stopping and prosecuting a few, while the majority remain blissfully ignorant.

Absolutley spot on:congrats:

My point to a tee.

On HGV you are supposed to know all the updates and changes, I've never had one ever. So doubt they will inform B+E drivers. Commercial operators are supposed to inform their drivers, Im sure they have other things to deal with and Im self employed, so slip through every net.

I didn't know until this week(had HGV 17yrs) that on a paper tacho chart VOSA have big issues about the surname should be above christian name. Or they get upset. Ive not done this for 17yrs! My first name has preceeded my surname all my life! As I've said before you need to be a legal professional to drive commercially. Im in the middle of a 3 week stint relief driving and realise I now hate driving because of juggling red tape, and the idiots you have to deal with. I prefer working with animals.

What they should do is do away with all excemptions and EVERY 4x4 that tows ANYTHING and ALL car that tow caravans should have to have tacho's fitted.

Vehicles towing huge caravans are more likely to travel long distance and go over their driving hours than any of us.

Make the rules to cover EVERYBODY and then there would be no ambiguity. Everybody would know where they stand, one rule applys to all

Likewise waste carriers license, no exemptions, not even for Mrs Smith and her grass cuttings, one rule for all, business or household

Go Dean, Go, makes sense to me. Same diesel price for all as well. :thumbup:

SURNAME THEN FIRST NAME OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND - makes no difference legally as long as it is always the same way

Nickname can be used if used all the time

So many myths about .......

O dear! I turned over a new leaf today..... and got it wrong for trying, O well I can scrunch it up and bin it tomorrow!

O no I can't! Im in the zero tolerance form of employment service.

Thanks ROG for being there, I recommend only short sessions on Arbtalk for you, to preserve your sanity! Your eyes must bulge and roll around when you see how poorly traffic educated many of us working class welfare supporting tax payers are!