1. 1. use of main line

• use both ends ?
    • mainline and lanyard ?
    • both

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i missing something. is there more force on anchor points this way? is there a history of failure in the v set up? i would never use any anchor point unless i was 100% confident in it.:confused1::001_smile:

There is less force on the anchors than if you used a redirect and about the same force on it as if you used two seperate ropes on two anchor points.

Sure you would never use either method if you were unsure about the safety of the anchor but its just needs to be remembered that it is not as good as two seperate anchors.

The distance of fall would be equal to the distance from you to the anchor that failed as that amount of rope would suddenly be re introduced into the rest of your sytem. So if you are 30 feet from either anchor and 20 feet off the ground, if one anhcor fails its gonna hurt!

i find two ropes necessary if your doing big long high branch walks with good anchor points up high in the tree, two ends of the rope gets annoying and twisted when you keep changing them over and moving round the stem they tought us to climb that way at school but now i just us a short rope and one end of the rope when doing most stuff, with the metal flip line aswell obviously when cutting ;-)

My lanyard is 10m of 10mm takes up hardly any space and most of it is stuffed in a hip bag out of the way, i use a cinch and have a mini prussik by the karabiner i'll throw the biner round a stem and clip it to the mini prussik that way i'm not cinching the stem with a biner, then i have a full 10m of second line to use in a single line hence using the cinch (you can use a hitch but its not ideal).

When i get into position if i need a 3rd attachment i'll just use a sling.

Hi All, not been on for ages,

As an old fart back in the dark ages and did not have work strops and no pussicks just three knot system so always used both ends to get up and then mainly one end to move around the tree two ends were very usfull moving from tree to tree.

However now what seems a bloody waste to me is most guys buy a rope with one eye splice say on a 35mt climbing rope and climb only using a small amount of rope that suffers all the wear and tear. I have inspected ropes that are being replaced where a major part of the rope is in very good order, why not buy rope with two eyes and stagger the use.

A little away from the post but kind of ties in. I also think as one of the other post said he climbs with two ropes or both ends, think this can be a quicker way to get into the canopy as once again see lads using landyards to clip in then take main line out then throw main line a few feet above them, then unclip then climb, then clip in YOU GET THE IDEA LOOOG WINDED!!!!!!!!!!!! mainly new climbers that seem to suffer think it is a conferdence thing.

Away being boring now so must dash.

Cheers

Wattie

• 3 weeks later...

I remmeber someone saying both eends was outdated and it was all about the strop and 1 end now. i have been doing my CS38 and 39 this week and have been told to use both ends and a work position from D to D which i've never done before, but its quite handy having the option of a 3rd anchor all the time. I think i'll be doing it more often.

climbing from both ends of your rope does have its place but i prefer to climb with one main line with a 10 meter short rope oh and carry a strop as well , it makes qetting into the tree faster and quiet often having that short rope can really aid you when getting out on a long branch , one of my ex staff would only climb on one end of his rope and a 2 meter strop , the shame was that he was not working at a productive pace at all whic then led to him trying to take short cuts when cutting . its all about striking a ballence when climbing

i think when people say outdated they really mean not what they prefer , i was told my method of climbing on a prussik was outdated but it has its place , i dont see the point in using my lock jack on a 30 foot tree tbh . neither can i be bothered to tie anything more that a prussik for a small job lol